1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switch from Production industry to other fields?

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    I started working for a multinational FMCG after graduating in Mechanical Engineering. With one year as of now in it, I somehow feel this is not a path to take for lifetime. I am paid well and my work is mix of management and engineering (Since it's the maintenance and I am the process owner), however, I would like to switch to a field where it's more about technical stuff and moreover, less intensive than production.

What options can I see in future with this experience, without having to do something radical like getting a master's degree (whose worth I now question having seen industry do not care about it)?

Can someone advise ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is FMCG? Not knowing that, I can't speak authoritatively about your situation.

But generally, it's not unusual to have a short-termed job at the beginning of your career. But, by 'short term' I mean three or four years. Being at a job for only one year looks bad on a resume. It's not a deal breaker, but be prepared to answer questions about it. Or better yet, bring it up yourself.

4. Aug 24, 2013 #3
    FMCG = Fast Moving Consumer Goods Industry

I have been wondering the same, when is the right time to quit your first job so as to not give any bad impression regarding previous job

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook