Switch to a large company for future opportunities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of working for a small niche company versus a large, well-connected company. The individual is currently gaining valuable experience in mechanical design at their current job, but is considering a move to a larger company for more opportunities. The conversation also touches on the topic of outsourcing and the future of US manufacturing. The overall consensus is that it is important to have a diverse range of experiences in different types of companies, and the future of US manufacturing may not be as bleak as perceived.
BradP
I am early in my career working for a small niche company right now, doing a lot of mechanical design. It seems like great experience to me; I am learning a lot about machine parts, manufacturing processes, and drawings. However, I might have an opportunity to move into a large, well-connected company. The position I applied for doesn't exactly sound great -- there is a lot of "paperwork", or mundane organization and data management. But there are definitely a lot of intellectually stimulating areas of the company that I would like to move into. And there could be some very useful and interesting things about the potential position too. One of these jobs has a lot of things going for it -- location, working environment, types of employees...but I won't say which. Because I am wondering if it is worth making the switch just for the more numerous opportunities that a large company can open up.

Physics news on Phys.org
BradP,

This may seem a bit off-topic, but I'm one of those curious types who believe that all manufacturing is now in China. I'm trying hard to disabuse myself of these ideas. Are you based in U.S.? If you are, what are your thoughts or misgivings about future of U.S. manufacturing?

Thanks,

Monte

Well, that is a bit off-topic :) But both the company of my current job and my prospective job do the manufacturing. I am not too worried, as there are some things that just can't be outsourced effectively. Manufacturing is where the real value is -- not just holding a place in the line of supply -- so I am more than willing to learn about manufacturing processes. Plus, if all manufacturing jobs are outsourced to China, there's nothing I can do about it. So I don't really worry.

And yeah, I'm in the U.S.

Hi, I am new here, and I also have a similar question. Which is better, to work in a small company or a large company?

Lucy66 said:
Hi, I am new here, and I also have a similar question. Which is better, to work in a small company or a large company?

It depends. There are well-run small companies, badly-run small companies, well-run large companies, and badly-run large companies.

Personally, I think it's most useful to work somewhere "different." If your last job was a small company, go to work with a large company and vice versa.

Monte_Carlo said:
This may seem a bit off-topic, but I'm one of those curious types who believe that all manufacturing is now in China. I'm trying hard to disabuse myself of these ideas. Are you based in U.S.? If you are, what are your thoughts or misgivings about future of U.S. manufacturing?

There are some types of manufacturing that can be outsourced, and some types that can't be. Personally, I think that everything that has gone overseas in manufacturing has already gone overseas, and curiously, the Chinese government is trying very hard to get itself *out* of the outsourcing business. The standard of living in China has risen to the point that if you talk to a factory manager in Guangdong, they are talking about how hard it is to make money because the cheap labor is gone.

That may not be such a good thing for the US. The US research university system is based on importing large numbers of Chinese and Indians, and this could be really bad if Chinese and Indians find better job opportunities at home. Also, if China goes out of manufacturing, the jobs aren't going back to the US. They'll end up in Vietnam or Indonesia.

One thing that is the case is that there is a huge demand for US schools by Chinese *undergraduates*. While this would keep the schools afloat I worry about what it will do to the US science infrastructure.

Last edited:
BradP said:
Plus, if all manufacturing jobs are outsourced to China, there's nothing I can do about it. So I don't really worry.

You could move to China.

One of the advantages of working for a large multi-national company is that if the opportunities are in China, it's possible to get yourself moved there. One other interesting thing about working in a large company is that it gives you an international perspective on things.

For example, you go to a meeting, and you have in the back of your mind that what the company is about to do is awful because it moves jobs from the US to India. They you realize that it's going to be pointless to mention this at the meeting, because a third of the people there are Indian, and you are the only American in the room, and it's a Korean company and your boss is Swedish and his boss is Polish.

Last edited:
twofish-quant said:
It depends. There are well-run small companies, badly-run small companies, well-run large companies, and badly-run large companies.

Personally, I think it's most useful to work somewhere "different." If your last job was a small company, go to work with a large company and vice versa.

Thanks, but I am worried that, it is not so easy to work in a large company.:cry:

Lucy66 said:
Thanks, but I am worried that, it is not so easy to work in a large company.:cry:

Well, I have worked in large (40,000+ employees), mid-size, and smallish (100 or so employees) companies, and my personal experience was that the small one was the worst. However, I wouldn't blame it on the company size. It was just a bad company.

I agree with twofish-quant:

Last edited:
If mobility is important to you, consider your opportunities for career growth at your small company. Do positions exists that you could be promoted into? Would you have to wait for someone to retire for there to be an opening? One advantage of a larger company is that if someone wants to promote you they can usually find a place to put you.

As for US manufacturing, watch the State of the Union tomorrow.

1. What are the benefits of switching to a large company for future opportunities?

Switching to a large company can provide several benefits for your future career opportunities. Large companies often have more resources and funding, which can lead to better job stability and growth opportunities. Additionally, being part of a larger organization can provide access to a wider network of professionals and potential mentors. Large companies also tend to have more well-established training and development programs, which can help you enhance your skills and advance in your career.

2. Will switching to a large company guarantee better career advancement?

While switching to a large company can certainly provide more opportunities for career advancement, it is not a guarantee. Advancement within a company ultimately depends on your performance, qualifications, and dedication. However, being part of a larger organization can provide a greater pool of job openings, which can increase your chances of finding a position that aligns with your career goals.

3. How can I ensure a smooth transition to a large company?

To ensure a smooth transition to a large company, it is important to do your research beforehand. Take the time to understand the company's culture, values, and expectations. Reach out to current or former employees to gain insights into their experiences. Additionally, be open to new challenges and be willing to adapt to a different work environment. Lastly, communicate openly and effectively with your new team and superiors to build positive relationships.

4. What should I consider before making the switch to a large company?

Before making the switch to a large company, it is important to carefully evaluate your personal and professional goals. Consider the company's mission, values, and work-life balance to ensure they align with your own. Research the company's financial stability and growth potential to ensure job security. Additionally, consider the location and commute, as well as the overall benefits and compensation package.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to switching to a large company?

While there are many potential benefits to switching to a large company, there can also be some drawbacks. For example, larger organizations may have a more rigid hierarchy and slower decision-making processes. Additionally, some employees may feel less connected to the company's values and mission compared to a smaller company. It is important to carefully consider these potential drawbacks and weigh them against your career goals before making a decision.