Best career move? Opportunity at a local community college....

In summary: Hello all,In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their career path. They have left a job as an actuarial analyst to pursue a financial analyst position, but have returned to their previous company due to a negative work environment. They are now obtaining a master's degree in finance and economics and considering a benefits analyst position at a local community college. They are afraid of missing out on this opportunity and are unsure of whether to apply and figure it out later or discuss it with their current employer. Others suggest applying for the job and negotiating a start date if selected, but not getting too attached to their current job as it is ultimately about the bottom line.
Modest Abe
Hello all,

I could really use some advice. Here's my backstory:
I used to work as an actuarial analyst; however, I wanted to get into a job that actually does more in the way of value creation in the economy. I want to do this as I want to eventually be in a position that allows me to sort of work in a field that "practices" sensible economics. As well, I want a position that has a strong future--health insurance, IMO is not it due primarily to Affordable Care Act and the merging of major insurance carriers.
Now, I left my company for a financial analyst position with a distribution company. That only lasted a few months, because the environment was terrible. I am a great worker with great skills, and their's was an environment of nepotism, rudeness, and low employee morale. I contacted my previous company and am now back--a higher salary, and I don't have to do actuarial work anymore. I'm now obtaining my master in finance and economics, because I want to also teach it eventually...primarily I want to teach economics.
However, a local community college has a benefits analyst position available. I like the idea for two reasons, first I can learn how to drive down college costs which grows way too fast. Also, it can be an easy foot in the door for my actual passion: teaching.
But I don't want to burn my company; I just don't think they'll make it a few more years. Plus I work as a data guru now, and I don't want to be a data monkey constantly...my job is easy, and I love that fact. I love the family environment we have, and I can probably always hold a position here if I stay. But I want to be a manager in a financial department...I want to tell a company how to control costs and give direction.

Now I'm 28, and I don't know what I should do. I'm just afraid I'll miss the boat if I pass this opportunity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply and figure/work it out later? It sounds like you are going to regret missing out on this opportunity.

I'm not as experience or as educated as you; so: My recommendation may not be a viable option, and I apologize if this is the case. Is it guaranteed that you'll achieve this community college position? Maybe you'll apply and you won't be selected, then you have nothing to worry about. If you are selected, then you have some choices. I wouldn't be surprised if communication was the key to a successful transition should you choose it - Apply, and if selected (or if there is a lot of promise), then discuss some of the ideas with your current employer. They re-hired you... which leads me to believe that your relationship with that organization is pretty good.

I'd love to see what others think.

Likes DrSteve
Along the lines of what JPrz wrote...Not sure why you don't just apply for the community college job and see how things go from there. It's not like you're a slam dunk for that opening, but if you do get it you may be able to work out a Fall 2016 start, thus giving your current employer plenty of time to hire a replacement. If the college won't negotiate a start date, then you don't have to make the move. But don't get too caught up in sentimentality about the job - keep in mind it's always about the bottom line.

p.s. An M.S. in econ does may not be enough to secure a teaching job in same

Likes Joshy

1. What is the job opportunity at the local community college?

The job opportunity at the local community college is a teaching position in a specific subject area or department. The specific job duties and responsibilities will vary depending on the subject or department, but typically involve teaching classes, creating lesson plans, grading assignments, and holding office hours for students.

2. Is it a good career move to work at a community college?

Working at a community college can be a great career move for many reasons. Community colleges often have smaller class sizes, which allows for more personalized instruction and connections with students. They also tend to have a more diverse student body, providing the opportunity to work with students from various backgrounds. Additionally, community colleges often have a strong focus on teaching and student success, which can be very rewarding for educators.

3. What are the benefits of working at a community college?

Some potential benefits of working at a community college include job stability, a supportive and collaborative work environment, and opportunities for professional development and growth. Many community colleges also offer competitive salaries and benefits packages for their employees.

4. What qualifications are needed for a teaching position at a community college?

The specific qualifications for a teaching position at a community college may vary, but generally, a master's degree in the subject area or a related field is required. Previous teaching experience, especially at the college level, is also highly valued. Additionally, certain certifications or licenses may be required for specific subject areas, such as nursing or culinary arts.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement at a community college?

Yes, there can be opportunities for advancement at a community college. Depending on the specific college, there may be opportunities for promotion to higher-level teaching positions, department chair or program director roles, or administrative positions. Additionally, pursuing additional education or professional development can also lead to advancement opportunities within the college.