Switching monitors: signal out of range

In summary, your old monitor is giving you a "Signal out of range" error when Windows XP is about to finish loading. You can change the settings in safe mode, but there are no available settings for the monitor type or refresh rate. It's not that old. It should do up to 80-90Hz. Is it networked? If so, maybe you can do access it in regular mode (i.e. not in safe mode) via VNC and remotely control it, trying to set up the monitor correctly.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Help.

My @#$&!& Made in China %*@$*%# flatscreen has died, forcing me to go back to my vanilla Trinitron 15" monitor.

The old monitor is giving me a "Signal out of range" error when Windows XP is about to finish loading (which is about when the monitor settings are kicking in).

Sooo, I restarted in safe mode to change the setting. Now, the monitor tab has NO settings, since it's in Safe Mode. The monitor type is "default" and the refresh rate options are all greyed out.

I can, however, go to the the Adapter tab, and 'List All Modes' and choose a different screen rez and depth. Which I did.

It made no diff. I tried 640x480x8, I tried 1024x768x16 and everything in between. I still get the same monitor error.

I've tried searching for new hardware so I could reinstall it, but it finds nothing new.

What gives?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like your refresh rate is too high. LCD screens can take up to 120 Hz where as the older CRT screens can only go up to 60 Hz. There is a way to change it in safe mode through the registry but I can't rember exactly how to do it.

Argentum Vulpes said:
It sounds like your refresh rate is too high. LCD screens can take up to 120 Hz where as the older CRT screens can only go up to 60 Hz. There is a way to change it in safe mode through the registry but I can't remember exactly how to do it.
It's not that old. It should do up to 80-90Hz.

Is it networked?
If so, maybe you can do access it in regular mode (i.e. not in safe mode)
via VNC and remotely control it, trying to set up the monitor correctly.

robphy said:
Is it networked?
If so, maybe you can do access it in regular mode (i.e. not in safe mode)
via VNC and remotely control it, trying to set up the monitor correctly.
An interesting idea. I do have a network, (though in all these years I have never been able to get my two comps to see each other).

DaveC426913 said:
An interesting idea. I do have a network, (though in all these years I have never been able to get my two comps to see each other).

With VNC or Windows Remote Desktop (on XP), you just need the IP address.
You might have to lower your computer's (XP) firewall.

You might want to try reinstallig the video drivers so that they register the currently used monitors capabilities.

Tony11235 said:
You might want to try reinstallig the video drivers so that they register the currently used monitors capabilities.
Usually I do that by having it do a search for new hardware. But it doesn't find anything new. I guess I'll have to dig up the CDs or find the (2 year old) drivers online.

Or maybe go to the resolution display window, and add a new monitor.

Tony11235 said:
Or maybe go to the resolution display window, and add a new monitor.
Please elaborate. I didn't find any options hiding that would allow me to make changes.

Dave, Microsoft has this to say about it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315614

Are you able to check the refresh rate and verify what it is set to?

I believe around 75 Hz is appropriate for CRTs.

Sorry, here is the case specific link from them...the other one was related to a video game but the result is the same...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286331/en-us

Argentum Vulpes said:
It sounds like your refresh rate is too high. LCD screens can take up to 120 Hz where as the older CRT screens can only go up to 60 Hz. There is a way to change it in safe mode through the registry but I can't rember exactly how to do it.

It's actually the other way round - my CRT runs up to 200Hz, but LCDs are almost always restricted to 75Hz at most.

If it's a Windows machine, hit F8 on boot (just before the first Windows logo comes up) and select safe mode, then adjust the refresh rate accordingly (60Hz is the standard).

If, as the OP suggests, that can't be done, the best bet is to uninstall & then reinstall the video driver, from Device Manager (start > run > devmgmt.msc).

dst said:
If, as the OP suggests, that can't be done, the best bet is to uninstall & then reinstall the video driver, from Device Manager (start > run > devmgmt.msc).
I do not have the option of a monitor in Device Manager, only the Adapter. Monitor is simply not listed.

DaveC426913 said:
I do not have the option of a monitor in Device Manager, only the Adapter. Monitor is simply not listed.
That's the one. Video adaptor driver. Monitor drivers do practically nothing.

GonnagetaMacGonnagetaMacGonnagetaMacGonnagetaMacGonnagetaMac...

The adapter reinstall goes looking on my drive for a file, which it does not find. And of course, I'm not going to have a disk around after half a dozen years for a vanuilla monitor...

I don't understand how this got so complicated. I used to be able to go in and simply tell it the refresh rate. What is so differnt aboujt my system that I can no longer do that?

Anyway, who cares why. I've got a freakin' turbo-charged doorstop here because I can't hook it up to the stupid monitor.

Dave:

Fire up the system: If you see the output from the BIOS startup on the screen (or a logo) then the system sees the video card. The next step is to fire up Windows under Safe Mode.

If Windows comes up under Safe Mode (yeah, the graphics can be really wonky) then the problem is just with the video drivers. (Refresh rates and resolution/bit density are the biggest items) Then delete the video adapter (clearing all the variables for the flat screen) and reboot in normal mode and adjust. (If you did it right the first time up in "Norma" mode the screen will STILL be wonky, but Windows will reload the defaults that the video adapter can actually apply to the display monitor it is attached to.

I can get into Safe Mode no problem.

How do I "delete the video adapter (clearing all the variables for the flat screen)"?

I still think that using VNC or a Remote Desktop connection is better since you are not in Safe Mode when you make your changes.

However, in Safe Mode, you might (but I'm not sure) be able to do this:
Right-click on My Computer... Manage.
Under "View"... "Show Hidden Devices".
Go to Monitors... for each [including apparently duplicate entries]... right-click, then either Disable or Uninstall.
You might want to do this for the Display adapters as well.

Do you know what video adapter it is? If it's integrated it's usually made by VIA or Intel, discrete boards are usually made by nVidia or AMD, and you can go onto their websites and download unified drivers for them.

DaveC426913 said:
I can get into Safe Mode no problem.

How do I "delete the video adapter (clearing all the variables for the flat screen)"?

Assuming you are using XP (if not, the tabs may be a bit different)

- Right click on "My Computer" and select "properties"
- Click on "Hardware" tab
- Click on "Device Manager" button
- Expand the "Display Adapters" Button
- Select your Display adapter, right click and select Uninstall

I have seen this often where the Microsoft video drivers are used instead of the drivers from the actual adapter manufacturer.

Once uninstalled, you should be able to shut down and restart in normal mode. Yes the video will still be wonky, but all the other drivers will work (especially the network ones) and then go to the website for the adapter, (Nvidia, Intel.. Whatever) and download and install the driver for your adapter.

i can't believe there is a 2 page thread for this:

F8 to go into the boot menu:
select 'VGA mode'
XP will boot into normal mode (not 'safe') with 800x600x16bit @ 60hz
adjust resolution setting as you like
restart

3gp said:
i can't believe there is a 2 page thread for this:

Neither can I. I work in IT.

It used to be so much simpler.
No wait. It used to be nightmarish. I always get those confused.

DaveC426913 said:
Neither can I. I work in IT.

Ok, then... use the restore disks!:biggrin:

1. Why am I getting a "signal out of range" message on my monitor?

There are a few possible reasons for this message. It could be due to the resolution or refresh rate being set too high, the graphics card not being able to support the current display settings, or a faulty cable connection.

2. How can I fix the "signal out of range" issue?

If the issue is related to the resolution or refresh rate, you can try adjusting these settings to see if the message disappears. You can also try reconnecting the cable to ensure it is properly connected. If these solutions do not work, it may be necessary to update your graphics card driver or replace the cable.

3. Can switching monitors cause a "signal out of range" error?

Yes, switching monitors can sometimes cause this error if the new monitor's resolution or refresh rate is not compatible with the current settings. It is important to check the specifications of the new monitor and adjust the display settings accordingly.

4. Why is my monitor displaying a "signal out of range" message after connecting a new device?

This could be due to the new device having a different display output, such as HDMI instead of VGA. You may need to use an appropriate adapter or change the display settings on the device to match your monitor.

5. Is a "signal out of range" message a sign of a defective monitor?

Not necessarily. This message can also indicate an issue with the graphics card, cable, or display settings. It is important to troubleshoot and rule out these other potential causes before assuming the monitor is defective.