Switching Research Groups Without Burning Bridges

In summary: Personally, if things don't get better within 6-12 months, it's time to consider looking for a new lab.In summary, the graduate student is considering switching research groups because they are unsatisfied with working conditions, lack adequate feedback, and are difficult to work with. The graduate student is also considering looking for a new group if things do not improve within the next year.
chill_factor
I am seriously considering switching research groups.

To be brief: I am a graduate student in condensed matter physics who had just passed the PHD candidate qualification exam. I have been working in my current lab for a year. I am unsatisfied with my working conditions in terms of interactions with my advisor and a senior lab member. I do not believe I am getting adequate feedback or direction from my advisor. The senior lab member is very difficult to work with but I cannot avoid working with him.

I believe either reason alone is enough to start thinking about switching groups, but both combined make it very difficult to justify staying.

My worries: I already switched once during my first semester, though for good reason. I do not want to burn bridges with my current advisor. How do I do this? Should I talk to the graduate coordinator first? What about my committee?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would talk to your graduate coordinator or the associate chair in charge of graduate students. Changing research group or supervisors is not all that uncommon and this person will usually have some experience with this kind of thing and be in a position where you *should* be able to speak confidentially about your concerns. The longer you wait, the more difficult it's going to be.

One thing that can help is to talk with other potential advisors so that you have a solid project to jump to. That way you'll be seen as moving towards something that you are more interested in rather than away from something you don't like.

Choppy said:
I would talk to your graduate coordinator or the associate chair in charge of graduate students. Changing research group or supervisors is not all that uncommon and this person will usually have some experience with this kind of thing and be in a position where you *should* be able to speak confidentially about your concerns. The longer you wait, the more difficult it's going to be.

One thing that can help is to talk with other potential advisors so that you have a solid project to jump to. That way you'll be seen as moving towards something that you are more interested in rather than away from something you don't like.

Thank you for the help. I have a meeting with him next week. Do I simply tell him at the meeting that I want out and then start searching or do I start searching then just tell him at the meeting? I just don't get why things would turn out like this. I've been trying my best to be productive: running experiments as often as possible, working extra, all other days prepping, trying to maintain the lab as best I can, etc. and yet it seems like the more effort I put in, the worse things get.

I would explain to him just what you've explained here, but maybe with a little more detail - why you don't think that you're getting adequate mentorship, why this senior lab member is difficult to work with etc. Your advisor will probably try to assess whether this is something that can be salvaged, so don't be offended if you get questions along the lines of have you spoken with your supervisor about this, etc. I think it's fine to start talking with other potential advisors ahead of time, or maybe just do some research on your own. Another thing to keep in mind is that jumping into another group is not always easy, depending on the jump. A new supervisor has to have a project or room available and agree to take you on. When a department agrees to take you on as a student though, they have a responsibility to make sure that you end up with a supervisor and a project. Again - all of these details are the kind of things you advisor will know much more about than someone giving general advice.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, things don't work out. This can be for all sorts of reasons ranging from conflicting mentoring/learning styles to the basic fact that some people are just plain A-holes. Most of the time graduate students look for PhD projects based on the merit of the project itself and their interests in the field. They assume that their relationships with supervisors and the other people in the lab will be productive, cooperative and respectful. Really - there *shouldn't* be any reason not to assume this, but I think the reality is that labs are just like any other workplace where there are breakdowns in communication, petty gripes, politics and conflicts.

1. What are the potential benefits of switching research groups?

Switching research groups can provide new opportunities for collaboration, exposure to different research methods and techniques, and the chance to work on new and exciting projects. It can also help expand your professional network and enhance your skill set.

2. How can I switch research groups without damaging professional relationships?

The key to switching research groups without burning bridges is to communicate openly and professionally with your current supervisor. Be honest about your reasons for wanting to switch and express gratitude for the opportunities you have had. It is also important to give proper notice and help with the transition process.

3. Can I switch research groups within the same institution?

Yes, it is possible to switch research groups within the same institution. However, it is important to consider potential conflicts of interest and discuss the switch with both your current and potential supervisors. You may also need to go through a formal process, such as obtaining approval from the department or institution.

4. How can I ensure a successful transition to a new research group?

To ensure a successful transition, it is important to communicate your expectations and goals with your new supervisor. Be open to learning new techniques and methods, and actively participate in group meetings and projects. It is also helpful to build relationships with your new colleagues and ask for their support and guidance.

5. Should I switch research groups if I am unhappy with my current project?

Switching research groups solely because of dissatisfaction with a project may not be the best solution. It is important to first communicate your concerns with your supervisor and see if there are any potential solutions or adjustments that can be made. However, if the project does not align with your research interests or goals, it may be beneficial to explore other research groups.