Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbols used to represent surface area Ratio in Refrigeration

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    Dear all,

Does anyone know common symbols used to represent the ratio of two surface areas? The ratio is the surface area of low temp. heat exchanger divided by the total surface area of low and high temp. heat exchanger:
    AL/AT = area ratio, i want to find or create a symbol for.

I would like to use any applicable symbol, but i am not confident, it may clash with other symbols in refrigeration.

I can use a symbol with a subscript but i'm finding it hard to think of a good one, any suggestions?
    (There are soo many symbols i'm dealing with it's easy to clash)

kind regards

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use any symbol you like as long as you define it. Have you tried reading existing publications on refrigeration? You could read a few to see what's used. If you can't find one where it's mentioned then you don't need to worry about a clash.
    I'd bet there's not a standard symbol for it. Don't worry.

4. Aug 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I did read a few papers and have noticed they use different symbols for the same thing, so you are right in saying "You can use any symbol you like as long as you define it".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook