1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric arc length of ln(x) and e^x

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why ∫(1+(1/x2)1/2dx over [1,e] = ∫(1+e2x)1/2dx over [0,1]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The two original functions are ln(x) and ex and are both symmetrical about the line y = x. If I take either of the functions and translate it over the line y = x the two functions will match up completely. So it seems reasonable that the arc lengths will be the same over some region. If I plug in the bounds 1 and e into ln(x) i get 0, and 1 and if I plug the bounds 0,1 into ex I get 1, and e. I don't really know how it helps but it's something I suppose.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your argument appears sound. Are you looking for a more algebraic justification? It shouldn't be too hard to turn your argument into algebra.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    I am looking for a more algebraic justification. I'll try and clean it up and post back when I have something, or if I have any questions. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted