1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric difference in sets

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a symmetric difference in sets X & Y, X Y is defined to be the sets of elements that are either X or Y but not both
    Prove that for any sets X,Y & Z that
    (X[itex]\oplus[/itex]Y)[itex]\oplus[/itex](Y[itex]\oplus[/itex]Z) = X[itex]\oplus[/itex]Z

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\oplus[/itex] = symmetic difference

3. The attempt at a solution
    i can see it in the venn diagams, but im not good at converting what i see into set statements this is my attempt in words

the symmetric difference of A and C is contained in the union of the symmetric difference of A and B and that of B and C because the symmetric difference of two repeated symmetric differences is the repeated symmetric difference of the join of the two multisets, where for each double set both can be removed.

i dont have a clue how to show that properly in subsets etc that why i need some help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2
  4. Jul 13, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How did you define [itex]X\oplus Y[/itex] in symbols??

You can split the proof up in this parts:
    - Associativity: show that [itex]X\oplus (Y\oplus Z)=(X\oplus Y)\oplus Z[/itex]
    - Show that [itex]Y\oplus Y=\emptyset[/itex]
    - Show that [itex]Y\oplus \emptyset=Y[/itex]

(this actually implies that [itex]\oplus[/itex] forms a group operation). These three things together imply what you want to show, do you see that?

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4
    ok here is my revised attempt at the answer with your help:

In order to prove that (X⊕Y)⊕(Y⊕Z) = X⊕Z you must imply that ⊕ forms a group operation this proof is split up into three parts

The symmetric difference is associative which means that
    (X⊕Y)⊕(Y⊕Z)= (Y⊕Y)⊕(X⊕Z) --I think that is correct?--
    or X⊕(Y⊕Z ) = (X⊕Y) ⊕Z

The symmetric difference of the same set yields an empty set, Y⊕Y= ∅

The symmetric difference of a set and empty set yields a Y⊕∅= Y

so (Y⊕Y) = ∅
    ∅ ⊕(X⊕Z)= X⊕Z
    hence for any sets X,Y & Z ,(X⊕Y)⊕(Y⊕Z) = X⊕Z

THAT ALL CORRECT?

6. Jul 15, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you're using commutativity here (which is fine, but you must first show that you can do that). IF you don't want to do that, then

[tex](X\oplus Y)\oplus (Y\oplus Z)=X\oplus (Y\oplus Y)\oplus Z=X\oplus \emptyset \oplus Z=X\oplus Z[/tex]

is also fine...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook