1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric of a point relative to a line

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the easiest way of finding the symmetrical of a point relative to an arbitrary line?
    (I was asked on an exam to find the symmetrical of a point relative to the line y = x, but that's rather trivial - just switch the coordinates. How can I do it for any arbitrary line ax + by = c?)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found a way, but it's rather messy. Given the line s and the point P, find the line t that is perpendicular to s and passes through P. Calculate the distance d between P and s. Find the point on the line t that is also at a distance d from s.

This sounds awfully complicated and messy for me. Is there a quicker way?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That's the way I'd do it. I don't know of any other.

4. Dec 25, 2011 #3
    For a line of the form Ax+By+C = 0, distance d from a point p is:

d = |Ax+By+C|/(A2+B2)1/2

[|...| is simply the absolute value meant to keep d>/=0]

5. Dec 25, 2011 #4
    This is precisely the formula I would use in the description I have given. But it's rather
    cumbersome to use it twice in a single problem. Is there a way around?

6. Dec 26, 2011 #5
    Why would you use it twice? Using it once will provide you with the shortest distance from the line to the point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook