1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from a point in space to a plane given a perpendicular line

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the distance from the point A = (1; 0; 2) to the plane passing through the point (1; 2; 1) and perpendicular to the line given by the parametric equations x = 7, y = 1 + 2t, z = t - 3.

2. Relevant equations

d = | (PS dot n)/|n||

3. The attempt at a solution

Set n = <0, 2, 1> from the line given

|n|= sqrt(5)

I am confused about finding the S point. Would the second point be the one that passes through the plane?

If so,

PS = <0, -2, -1> so PS dot n = <0, -4, -1> and it would become something like -4/sqrt(5) + -1/sqrt(5). I get -5sqrt(5)/5 which becomes |-sqrt(5)|.

In general, when do we use intercepts (recommended by the textbook) and how vs just the point on the plane?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

S is any point on the plane. Since you were given (1,2,1) just use it.

Check your signs on PS.

I guess it depends on what problem you are solving. Just fix your arithmetic and you should be OK here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted