1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric square well, wavefunction is weird

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    • OP warned about not using the homework template
    Hi,
    I'm trying to work my way through some problems and am stuck on one for a symmetric infinite square well, of width 2a, so -a<x<+a. Since this is the symmetric case, the wavefunction should be a linear combination of the terms

(a) cos (nπx/2a) for odd n,
    (a) sin (nπx/2a) for even n.

The question gives a wavefunction Ψ(x,0) = ε(x) (3a)(1 - cos (2πx/a)) where ε(x) = +1 for x>0, -1 for x<0. I want to rearrange this so it's a linear combination of cos and sin terms, for various values of n. It's easy to get 1-cos(2y) to a single term proportional to sin2(y) using trig identities, but I don't want the square. I want a linear combination of cosine and sine terms where I can read off the value of n for each term (and hence find the probabilities of the various energy eigenvalues). I don't think I can just read n out of the existing cosine because that would imply that n=4, but the cos terms correspond to odd values of n.

And I'm probably sleepy and will kick myself once I see the solution, but at the moment I just can't think of what way to massage this into the linear combination I want. So if anyone has any ideas please shout them out.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You won't be able to do it with trigonometric identities because of the ε(x). Try a Fourier transform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted