Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Symmetrized Lagrangian (second quantization)

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I need some help to find the correct symmetrized Lagrangian for the field operators. After some work I guess that

$$\mathcal{L} = i[\overline{\psi}_a,({\partial_\mu}\gamma^\mu \psi)^a] -m[\overline{\psi}_a,\psi^a ]$$

should be the correct Lagrangian but I'm not sure with this.

I'm also intrested in the question of reordinger this Lagrangian in such a way that all [itex]\overline{\psi}[/itex] are on the left and all [itex]\psi[/itex] are on the right side. My problem: I don't know how to deal with products like [itex](\partial_\mu \gamma^\mu \psi) \overline{\psi}[/itex]

Thanks for your help.
    Neutrino

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

How do you define e.g. the second term?

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3
    It should be [itex] [\overline{\psi}_a, \psi^a] := \sum_a \overline{\psi}_a \cdot \psi^a - \psi^a \cdot \overline{\psi}_a[/itex]..
    To ensure that the Lagrangian is hermitian we may add an aditional four divergence.

5. Feb 18, 2017 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

I'm sorry, I only understand the first term where the barred psi comes first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted