Symmetry conditions for coupled scalar field Lagrangian

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lagrangians Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Dixanadu
Messages
250
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Hey guys, so this is a follow up from my previous post.

So I have this Lagrangian for two coupled fields:

[itex]\begin{split}<br /> \mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}\phi_{1}) -\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}\phi_{2})-g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2})^{2}<br /> \end{split}[/itex]

I was given the transformation [itex]\phi_{1}\rightarrow\phi_{1}+\epsilon\phi_{2}, \phi_{2}\rightarrow\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}[/itex], which (if I've done it right) yields the following:

[itex]\begin{split}<br /> \mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}^{2}+2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2}) \\<br /> -\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}^{2}-2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})-g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}^{2}+\epsilon\phi_{2}^{2})^{2}<br /> \end{split}[/itex]Now I have to "Find the most general values for m_1, m_2 and g such that this transformation is a symmetry".

Homework Equations


Apparently there is no coordinate transformation, so I've been told that I need to impose the condition

[itex]\mathcal{L}(\phi',\partial_{\mu}\phi')=\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial_{\mu}\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So err...am I just meant to equate both Lagrangians? If I do that I end up with the equations:
[itex]\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}^{2}+2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})=\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}\phi_{1})[/itex]
[itex]\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}^{2}-2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2})=\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}\phi_{2})[/itex]
[itex]g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2})^{2}=g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}^{2}+\epsilon\phi_{2}^{2})^{2}[/itex]

And I'm stuck lol...how do I use these to find the most general values for m_1, m_2 and g?

Thank guys
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?