Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symplectic but Not Complex Manifolds.

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Hi, All:
    AFAIK, every complex manifold can be given a symplectic structure, by using

w:=dz/\dz^ , where dz^ is the conjugate of dz, i.e., this form is closed,

and symplectic. Still, I think the opposite is not true, i.e., not every symplectic

manifold can be given a complex structure. Does anyone know of examples/results?

I heard something about an equivalence between Lefschetz fibrations (or pencils)

and existence of symplectic structures, but I cannot think of examples.

Any Ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But this form is defined only locally. And trying to patch it globally, you may lose closedness. In her (free, available on her website) book, Ana Cana da Silva mentions the Hopf surface S^1 x S^3 as a complex manifold that does not admit a symplectic structure (obviously since H^2(S^1 x S^3) = 0 x H^2(S^3)=0.) See p.122.

For this Silva gives a reference for an example of Ferdandez-Gotay-Gray that is a circle bundle over a circle bundle over the 2-torus. (p.121)

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Bacle, I think you mean to say that every Kahler manifold can be given a symplectic structure. That the converse is not true is much more delicate. Gompf discovered non-Kahler symplectic manifolds in the 80's, using some surgery construction to produce symplectic manifolds that do not satisfy the Hodge decomposition on cohomology.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Thanks, both for your comments, refs., I will look into them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook