Restricting Base of Bundle. Which Properties are Preserved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Lefschetz fibration ##f: W^4 \rightarrow S^2## with finitely many singularities, special complex charts around each critical point, and monodromy described in terms of Dehn twists. The question is about which results extend when restricting the base ##S^2## to a disk ##D^2## and using the pullback bundle. It is suggested to choose a disc including all singular points and another point with no singularities to measure the monodromy. This study may involve the theory of braids and the works of Moishezon on the topology of complex surfaces.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Please let me set things up before the actual question:
I have a Lefschetz fibration ## f: W^4 \rightarrow S^2 ## , where ## W^4## is a closed, oriented manifold, and
## S^2## is the 2-disk. This f is a smooth map with finitely-many singularities {## x_1, x_2,..,x_n ##}, so that we have special complex charts ## f(z,w) = z^2+ w^2 ## about each of the critical points ## x_i ##, and we
know the monodromy about each of these critical points; here the monodromy is just an informal measure of how this map differs from being a trivial bundle ## W^4 = S^2 \times F ##, for ##F## the fiber, i.e., the monodromy describes the twisting . And we know that the monodromy for these fibrations is described in terms of Dehn twists about vanishing cycles in the critical fibers. Outside of these singularities, f is just a standard surface bundle.

Question: I have some results for the above bundle, and I want to see which of these results extend/remain when I restrict the base ## S^2 ## to a disk ## D^2## . I am thinking of using the pullback bundle by the restriction map; but I guess we need this ## D^2 ## to include all the critical points. Is there something else I should consider?
Thanks.

EDIT: I also have been told that the charts ## f(z,w)= z^2 + w^2 ## are equivalent to having
charts ## f(z,w) = zw ## . What types of equivalence are we using here; are we saying the
two are equivalent as quadratic forms?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the equivalence is simply that one can change coordinates to u = z+iw and v = z-iw.

I am not an expert, but will try to say something elementary: when examining the monodromy in your situation, yes one should choose a disc including all singular points, then ordinarily one chooses also another point in the disc which has no singularities over it, and considers arcs that go from that point out to each of the non regular points, then goes once around such a point, and back to the good point. that way all the monodromy is measured at the one good point.

an obvious condition then is that composing all these monodromy loops one has a loop that goes around all the points, hence around none of them looked at wrt the missing point at infinity, hence the composition of these monodromy elements should be the identity.

I believe this study is part of or depends on, the theory of braids. One may consult the works of Moishezon on topology of complex surfaces.

pages 66-67 of the following link may be useful:

http://gokovagt.org/proceedings/2009/ggt09-cataloenwajn.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "restricting base of bundle"?

The base of a bundle refers to the underlying space on which the bundle is constructed. Restricting the base means that the bundle is being defined on a smaller subset of this space.

2. Why would someone want to restrict the base of a bundle?

Restricting the base of a bundle can make it easier to analyze and understand the properties and behavior of the bundle. It can also allow for more specific and targeted applications of the bundle.

3. Which properties are preserved when restricting the base of a bundle?

The properties that are preserved when restricting the base of a bundle depend on the specific bundle and the way in which the restriction is defined. However, some common properties that are often preserved include continuity, differentiability, and topological and algebraic structures.

4. How does restricting the base of a bundle affect the structure of the bundle?

Restricting the base of a bundle can change the structure of the bundle in several ways. It can affect the dimensionality of the bundle, the types of maps and fibers involved, and the types of transformations and symmetries that are possible within the bundle.

5. Can the base of a bundle be restricted multiple times?

Yes, the base of a bundle can be restricted multiple times, resulting in a nested series of bundles. Each restriction may introduce new properties or preserve existing ones, leading to a more complex and specialized structure.