Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Symplectic Majorana Spinors in 5 Dimension

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    I need to know if the Symplectic Majorana spinors in 5 dimension have any advantage with respect to the Dirac spinors in 5 dimension, since they have the same number of components. For example if the Symplectic Majorana spinors have a manifested symmetry that the Dirac spinors don't have, or if it's more easy to work with the Symplectic Majorana spinors.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

4. May 1, 2016 #3
    No, i have not see it. I am gonna check it.
    Thank you!

5. May 2, 2016 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Well, just a small hint: they got their name from a certain symm. property :P

Especially in supergravity, where chirality often is not that important, we like Majorana spinors. In 2,3 and 4 dimensions we can define them, but in 5 dimensions we can't. But we can go the the next best thing: symplectic Majorana. Van Proeyen explains how and why.

6. May 2, 2016 #5
    Tomas Ortin, in appendix D of "Gravity and Strings" (SECOND edition), says
    but in Australia, Google's preview is limited and doesn't let me see the actual argument.

7. May 2, 2016 #6
    Thank you very mach!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted