Synthesis of aspirin, confused noob

In summary: Thanks for the explanation!In summary, the phenolic -OH of salicylic acid is more basic than the carbonyl oxygen of the anhydride. This is due to the phenolic -OH's higher ranking in terms of basicity.
gangsterlover
Hi,

Take a look at this synthesis of aspirin. Because I am noob, please bare with me.
800px-Acetylation_of_salicylic_acid%2C_mechanism.png

On the top there you can see how the acetic anhydride gets attacked by the H plus ion.
I can't understand why the h plus ion gets bonded there.
I`ve been trying to find the answer to this question for quite some time now, and this is what I have come up to.

1. There is no charge on none of the oxygen atoms. So not explanation there.
2. There is no difference in electronegativity between the oxygen as far as I can see, but please tell me different. I would actually not mind, because I am totally stuck.
3. There was this one step on(http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2012/06/18/what-makes-a-good-nucleophile/) which said something about solvent, but I didn`t understand it too well, so I`ll just move on to steric hindrance.
4. Steric hindrance could explain why the h plus ion doesn`t bond at the bottom oxygen on the acetic anhydride, but not why the h plus ion doesn`t want to bond on the salicylic acid oxygen in the top left corner.

Omg...
yelp!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Draw the resonance structures of the anhydride. Which oxygen carries a negative charge in the resonance structure and which carries a positive charge?

I don`t see how drawing the resonance structure for the acetic anhydride could show me the answer to my question. I am pretty much only curious in why the h plus ion gets bonded on the acetic anhydride oxygen and not on the salicylic acid oxygen.

Ah ok, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking why the carbonyl oxygen of the anhydride got protonated while the bridging oxygen of the anhydride did not.

Still, when considering whether the phenolic -OH of salicilic acid is more basic than the carbonyl oxygen of the anhydride, it is still good to write out the resonance structures for the anhydride and salicylic acid. Which oxygens carry a negative charge in the resonance structures, and which structures carry positive charges in the resonance structures?

But they don`t need to be negatively charged to accept a proton, do they? What?! I don't see any reason why the carbonyl oxygen couldn`t accept an h plus ion. I just can't see it with my eyes.

Sure, any oxygen with a lone pair can accept a proton. But some are more likely to do so than others, and the relative amount of time they spend protonated vs unprotonated can affect the reactivity of the groups in the various reactions. For example, if the phenolic -OH of salicylic acid were more likely to be protonated than the carbonyl oxygen of the anhydride, the proposed reaction scheme would not work.

added in edit: note that usually only catalytic amounts of phosphoric acid are added to the reaction, so there won't be enough acid around to protonate everything. Therefore, you must consider which atoms are the most basic and the most likely to be protonated under these conditions.

I`ll have to read up on the ranking of basicity?

What is the purpose of synthesizing aspirin?

The purpose of synthesizing aspirin is to produce a pure and standardized form of the medication. This allows for accurate dosing and reduces the risk of impurities or contaminants that may be present in natural sources of aspirin.

What are the steps involved in synthesizing aspirin?

The steps involved in synthesizing aspirin include mixing salicylic acid with acetic anhydride, adding sulfuric acid as a catalyst, heating the mixture, and then cooling and filtering the resulting product. The product is then recrystallized to further purify it.

What are the potential hazards associated with synthesizing aspirin?

The potential hazards associated with synthesizing aspirin include exposure to toxic chemicals such as acetic anhydride and sulfuric acid, as well as the risk of burns from working with hot solutions. It is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when conducting this synthesis.

How is the purity of synthesized aspirin determined?

The purity of synthesized aspirin can be determined through techniques such as melting point analysis, thin layer chromatography, and spectroscopy. These methods can identify impurities and ensure that the final product is of high quality and suitable for use.

What are some practical applications of synthesized aspirin?

Synthesized aspirin has a variety of practical applications, including as a pain reliever, anti-inflammatory medication, and anti-clotting agent. It is also used in the production of other pharmaceuticals and as a starting material in organic chemistry reactions.