System for condensing steam in a low pressure system

In summary: Haha. Well thanks for that nugget of wisdom SteamKing. Chemical reactions take place in kitchens all the time. It's called "cooking".
ChexMix21
Hello,I'm attempting to come up with the best method to achieve maximum condensation (air dryness).

In the system an exhaust fan will draw in steam (212F) and pass it through a 90 degree pipe (~12-14 inches) before it enters an area where it needs to be cooled for the purpose of removing the maximum amount of humidity.

The steam produced in an hour equals:
337.7 cubic feet
14,495 BTU,
4.24 KWh

The purpose of condensing the vapor back into liquid is to protect the down-stream activated charcoal filter from degradation due to high humidity.The questions I'm having difficulty answering are as follows:

1) How to match the cooling/dehumidifying efficiency of a system with the optimum amount of air flow (ie choosing the right fan for the right amount of airflow for the system to be the most efficient)

Example: If I am passing 500 cubit feet of air through the system per hour and I want to achieve a certain % humidity where do I go from here?I've attached the concept drawingThanks in advance for your replies

Attachments

• Condenser System.jpg
    Condenser System.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not clear on how you are removing the heat - and what are the inlet air conditions for mixing with the steam?

Need some help generating ideas to accomplish an intended outcome

Hello,

I posted before and didn't get much response. I realized the post was not well composed and presented a problem that was not well defined. I've dumbed down some of the details here so while this may sound rediculous the application will be somewhat different. It's a thought problem.

Concept: Build a device that effectively eliminates a nasty smell due to organic compounds aerosolized with steam from an open pot of boiling water.

Assumptions: Boiling takes place inside on the kitchen stove. Due to the desired chemical reactions you cannot place a lid on the boiling containter of liquid or otherwise put it under abnormal pressure.

Idea 1: My first thought was to take a fan and mount it several inches above the vessel of boiling liquid. In-line with the fan would be an activated charcoal filter which would work in capturing the organic compounds that create the smell
Problem 1: Activated carbon is a dessicant and will absorb the water thereby reducing its effective life​
Solution 1: Dry the air before passing it through the charcoal filter​
Problem 2: In a low pressure environment many air dryers are not effective. Based on previous feedback this approach is rife with additional problems​

It would seem like an easy problem to solve but I'm at a standstill. Retrofitting the range hood exhaust system would be an option, however the idea is to make something portable that I could use in a kitchen or in a garage, for example.

The system would be used in intervals of around 1 hour.
The steam produced in an hour equals:
337.7 cubic feet
14,495 BTU,
4.24 KWh

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

It's probably not a good idea to be making chemical reactions on your kitchen stove in the first place.

SteamKing said:
It's probably not a good idea to be making chemical reactions on your kitchen stove in the first place.

Haha. Well thanks for that nugget of wisdom SteamKing. Chemical reactions take place in kitchens all the time. It's called "cooking".

As I stated before, the application of this is different than it probably appears. This is a thought problem.

I've looked at as many different types of filtration systems as I can find and nothing I've found would seem to work.

I've done my share of cooking, Chex, and I recognize that the food is altered by the process. But I've never needed a gizmo like you describe over my stove. I think you are trying to react something on your stove which is nastier than cooking onions and peppers with tender cuts of beef.

So you're concerned about the application or do you just not have anything helpful to add and therefore choose ad hominem style attacks?

What is a low pressure steam condensing system?

A low pressure steam condensing system is a method used to convert steam into water at a lower pressure. This process is used in various applications such as power plants, HVAC systems, and industrial processes.

Why is it important to condense steam in a low pressure system?

Condensing steam in a low pressure system is important because it allows for the efficient use of energy. By converting the steam into water, the system is able to reuse the energy and prevent waste. This can also help reduce operating costs and improve overall system performance.

How does a low pressure steam condensing system work?

In a low pressure steam condensing system, the steam is directed into a condenser where it is exposed to a cooling medium, such as water or air. This causes the steam to lose heat and condense into liquid form. The resulting water can then be reused or disposed of.

What are the components of a low pressure steam condensing system?

The main components of a low pressure steam condensing system include a condenser, a cooling medium, pumps, valves, and a control system. Some systems may also include additional components such as heat exchangers and separators.

What are the benefits of using a low pressure steam condensing system?

Using a low pressure steam condensing system offers several benefits, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and environmental sustainability. It also helps to prevent water waste and can improve the overall performance and longevity of the system.