1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Differential equation to solve.

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following differential equation.

y'= {{2,-1},{3,-2}}y + {{1},{-1}}(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex]

If it's not clear, I made an image for it.

http://i.imgur.com/lypTxqf.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[itex]y{g}[/itex] = [itex]y{h}[/itex] + [itex]y{p}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So basically, I am looking for a homogeneous solution and a particular solution.

I started by looking at the eigen values and eigen vectors.

I found [itex]\lambda[/itex]1 = 1 and [itex]\lambda[/itex]2 = -1

And the vectors that go with them : [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V1}[/itex] = (1, 1) and [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V2}[/itex] = (1,3). with give me the homogeneous solution

[itex]y{h}[/itex] = C1(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex](1, 1) + C2(e)[itex]^{-x}[/itex](1, 3)

But I have a hard time looking for a particular solution..

I supposed that Yp was something like [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/itex] * x * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] + [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{b}[/itex] * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] and... I'm having a lot of trouble from there.. I found Y'p and. it start to get pretty complicated.. is there an easier way? I'm I doing this right?

thanks!

Dario

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The built-in equation editor is so clumsy isn't it?
    Here's how to write that out in latex: ##\renewcommand{\dyx}[1]{\frac{d #1}{dx}}## $$\dyx{\vec{y}} = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & -1 \\ 3 & -2 \end{pmatrix} \vec{y} + \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} e^x = \text{A}\vec{y}+\vec{w}e^x$$ (Ill do this all the way through just to make sure I have properly understood you.)
    You mean $$y_g=y_h+y_p$$ ??
    ##y_h## would be commonly referred to as the "complimentary solution".
    You got eigenvalues ##\lambda_1=1## and ##\lambda_2=-1## with corresponding eigenvectors $$\vec{v}_1= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} \; ;\; \vec{v}_2= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} \; \Rightarrow \vec{y}_h=C_1 \vec{v}_1 e^x + C_2 \vec{v}_2 e^{-x}$$

method of undertermined coefficients?
    maybe: ##\vec{y}_p = \vec{a}e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x}## ?
    then $$\vec{y}^\prime_p = (\vec{a}+\vec{b})e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x} = \text{A}(\vec{a}e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x}) + \vec{w}e^x$$ ... so that $$\vec{a}+\vec{b}=\text{A}\vec{a}+\vec{w}\\ \vec{b} = \text{A}\vec{b}$$... something like that?
    Where do you get stuck?

ref.
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/NonhomogeneousSystems.aspx

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    Haha sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning all the terms since I'm a french student.

The method i'm doing is pretty much the same thing, But I'm just maybe confused on how it actually works..

I don't get how a + b = Aa + w and b = Ab.. But i'm going to do the problem again and maybe i'll wake up haha

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be complementary.

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5
    @DaxInvader, you get these equations by matching up the vector terms containing ##e^x## and ##xe^x## on both sides.

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yeah - they don't give them away for free. :tongue:

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why thank you, that's nice of you to say so...
    (There is no i in complementary huh... it's always about the other person...)

Your English is better than a lot of native speakers, I don't want you to think I was correcting you when I was checking my understanding ;)
    From grouping like terms as SithsNGiggles points out. It's just the same as you are used to only the coefficients are vectors. I was wondering if that was the trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted