System of two equations with radical expression

In summary: It's not so bad. I would start by solving the 2nd equation for x, and then substitute that into the first. Try it, and post your workings here.By the way, in the second equation, is it-x + \sqrt{3} \cdot y = 0or-x + \sqrt{3y} = 0?Based on the answer he gave, I would think that it has to be the first equation that you listed.
dmehling

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the following two systems of equations and at every attempt I get completely stuck.

x2 + y2 = 1

-x + √3y = 0

Homework Equations

not applicable

The Attempt at a Solution

the answers have already been given to me but I have no idea how to get the answers: x = (√3)/2, -(√3)/2
y = 1/2, -1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Using either equation, you can solve for y in terms of x (or for x in terms of y). Then, substituting that expression for y (or x) into the other equation, you are now left with an equation with only one unknown variable. I think you know how to solve that!

Yes I realize in a very general sense how to solve a system of equations. I was trying to use the substitution method but this equation seem so unusual that I cannot figure out how to do it. I thought I had it nearly solved but my answer was nowhere close to what I know is the right answer. It's the radical expression that is throwing me off.

dmehling said:
Yes I realize in a very general sense how to solve a system of equations. I was trying to use the substitution method but this equation seem so unusual that I cannot figure out how to do it. I thought I had it nearly solved but my answer was nowhere close to what I know is the right answer. It's the radical expression that is throwing me off.

It's not so bad. I would start by solving the 2nd equation for x, and then substitute that into the first. Try it, and post your workings here.

By the way, in the second equation, is it
[itex]-x + \sqrt{3} \cdot y = 0[/itex]
or
[itex]-x + \sqrt{3y} = 0[/itex]?

eumyang said:
It's not so bad. I would start by solving the 2nd equation for x, and then substitute that into the first. Try it, and post your workings here.

or

What the OP wrote was ##\sqrt{3} \cdot y##, but that's not necessarily what was intended.

dmehling said:

Show your attempt, maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong.

eumyang said:

or

Based on the answer he gave, I would think that it has to be the first equation that you listed.

Yes it is √3 (multiplied by) y. I couldn't tell whether the variable was underneath the radical sign based on how it was written in the textbook. I plugged in the answers they gave me to make sure. By the way, how do I insert the multiplication dot symbol?

dmehling said:
Yes it is √3 (multiplied by) y. I couldn't tell whether the variable was underneath the radical sign based on how it was written in the textbook. I plugged in the answers they gave me to make sure. By the way, how do I insert the multiplication dot symbol?

If you're using latex, you type \cdot.

Otherwise you can't, but in order to avoid confusion you can write (√3)y to illustrate the difference.

But before we can help you figure out the problem, you need to show the work you already did.

I was finally able to get the solution by substituting the second equation into the first. I was making things much too complicated and it was actually quite simple to get the solution. But I have challenged myself to find the solution by substituting the first equation into the second one, and once again I'm really stuck. I think I actually did it correctly once, but now have no idea how I did that. When I try to isolate the y in the first equation I get y = √1 - x . However, when I plug that into the second equation then suddenly I have the difficulty of multiplying √3 by (√1 - x). How am I supposed to accomplish that, or am I already on the wrong track?

$$\sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b + c} = \sqrt{a(b+c)}$$
This is just a rule, but if you think about it, it is consistent with the rules of exponents. Just interpret sqrt(a) as a1/2 etc. and you'll see why the above must be true if the rules of exponents are true.

dmehling said:
When I try to isolate the y in the first equation I get y = √1 - x .

NO. You get ##y = \sqrt{1 - x^2}## if you do it correctly

cepheid said:
NO. You get ##y = \sqrt{1 - x^2}## if you do it correctly

No, you get [itex] y = \pm \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] if you do it properly.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
No, you get [itex] y = \pm \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] if you do it properly.

RGV

Touché

Wouldn't y^2 = √1 - x^2 be the same thing as y = (√1) - x?

dmehling said:

There is no rule that says ##\sqrt{a+b} = \sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##.

You're right. I didn't really mean to say that. What I think it should be is y = 1 - x.

dmehling said:
You're right. I didn't really mean to say that. What I think it should be is y = 1 - x.

But wasn't it established already that ##y=\pm\sqrt{1-x^2}##, or do you not agree with how it got to that?

It started out as y^2 = 1 - x^2. If you try to remove the exponent for y then you should also remove the exponent from x, but then you would also end up with √1.

dmehling said:
It started out as y^2 = 1 - x^2. If you try to remove the exponent for y then you should also remove the exponent from x, but then you would also end up with √1.

NO! You can't do that. You started with this:
[itex]y^2 = 1 - x^2[/itex]
You take the square root of both sides (to isolate the y) and you get this:
[itex]y = \pm\sqrt{1 - x^2}[/itex]
The following are not necessarily equal:
[itex]\sqrt{1 - x^2} \ne 1 - x[/itex]

You can't just take the square root of each term underneath the square root if you have an addition or subtraction. Does
[itex]\sqrt{25 - 9} = 5 - 3[/itex]?

So you want to take the square root of each side.
If ##y^2 = 1 - x^2## then ##\sqrt{y^2} = \sqrt{1 - x^2}##, which is only the same as ##y = 1 - x## if ##\sqrt{a + b} = \sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##.

dmehling said:

No! Never! The graph of y = 1-x is a straight line, while the graph of y = √(1-x^2) is a semi-circle, and the graph of y = √(1-x) is a parabola.

RGV

Okay, I'm wrong once again.

dmehling said:
Okay, I'm wrong once again.

The important thing is, do you understand why? In other words, have you figured out what your mistake was and how to do it properly? As had already been said a few times, you just have to follow the rules, so if you take the square root of one side of the equation (to solve for y) you have to take the square root of the other side as well. That's all.

Yeah, I'm a little rusty when it comes to my ability to manipulate equations. I understand my mistake but I'm still having trouble doing it correctly now. I'll have to work on it some more and see what exactly my problem is at this point.

dmehling said:

dmehling said:
That's not really different from what you have in the first quote above, so it's not right either. As already mentioned, it is NOT true that ##\sqrt{a + b} = \sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##. So ##\sqrt{1 - x^2} \neq 1 - x##.

What is a "System of two equations with radical expression"?

A system of two equations with radical expression is a set of two equations that contain variables and radical expressions. These equations are typically solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations.

How do you solve a system of two equations with radical expression?

To solve a system of two equations with radical expression, you can use the method of elimination or substitution. First, isolate one of the variables in one equation and substitute its value into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Finally, plug the value of the solved variable into either of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

Can a system of two equations with radical expression have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of two equations with radical expression can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy both equations. These solutions can be real or complex numbers, depending on the given equations.

What is the significance of a radical expression in a system of two equations?

The presence of a radical expression in a system of two equations can make the equations more complex to solve. It adds another layer of possible solutions and may require the use of advanced algebraic techniques to solve the system. Additionally, the solutions to the system may involve irrational numbers.

Can a system of two equations with radical expression have no solutions?

Yes, a system of two equations with radical expression can have no solutions. This means that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This can occur if the equations are inconsistent or if the radical expressions result in imaginary solutions.