1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two equations to solve simultaneously

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 = c(1+sqrt(2)) + d(1-sqrt(2))
    5 = c(1+sqrt(2))2 + d(1-sqrt(2))2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive tried finding an expression for c, and replacing c in the other equation, but it gives me the wrong answer... what should i do?

The answer should be c=(sqrt(2)+2)/4

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Show your working. We can't help you if we can't see where you might have gone wrong.

4. Oct 3, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You understand that these are just linear equations, don't you: Ac+ Bd= 2 and A^2c+ B^2d= 5 with [tex]A= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex]. Yes, you could solve the first equation for c, [tex]c= (2- Bd)/A[/tex], and put that into the second equation: A^2[(2- Bd)/A)+ B^2d= A(2- Bd)+ B^2d= 2A- ABd+B^2d= 5 so (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A and d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB)

Personally, I would have multiplied the first equation by A to get A^2c+ ABd= 2A and then subtract that from the second equation: (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A which immediately gives d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB). Similarly, multiply the first equation by B to get ABc+ B^2d= 2B and subtract that from the second equation to get (A^2- AB)c= 5- 2B so that c= (5- 2B)/(A^2- AB).

Now put [tex]A= 1+\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex].

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4
    Thanks! I got the correct answer using d = (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB). Turns out I've been doing a mistake before i got to this part...

6. Oct 3, 2014 #5
    Which, of course, should simplify to...

c = (2 + Sqrt[2])/4

d = (2 - Sqrt[2])/4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted