• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Two equations to solve simultaneously

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
2 = c(1+sqrt(2)) + d(1-sqrt(2))
5 = c(1+sqrt(2))2 + d(1-sqrt(2))2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive tried finding an expression for c, and replacing c in the other equation, but it gives me the wrong answer... what should i do?

The answer should be c=(sqrt(2)+2)/4

Last edited by a moderator:

pasmith

Homework Helper
Show your working. We can't help you if we can't see where you might have gone wrong.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
You understand that these are just linear equations, don't you: Ac+ Bd= 2 and A^2c+ B^2d= 5 with [tex]A= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex]. Yes, you could solve the first equation for c, [tex]c= (2- Bd)/A[/tex], and put that into the second equation: A^2[(2- Bd)/A)+ B^2d= A(2- Bd)+ B^2d= 2A- ABd+B^2d= 5 so (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A and d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB)

Personally, I would have multiplied the first equation by A to get A^2c+ ABd= 2A and then subtract that from the second equation: (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A which immediately gives d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB). Similarly, multiply the first equation by B to get ABc+ B^2d= 2B and subtract that from the second equation to get (A^2- AB)c= 5- 2B so that c= (5- 2B)/(A^2- AB).

Now put [tex]A= 1+\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex].

Thanks! I got the correct answer using d = (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB). Turns out I've been doing a mistake before i got to this part...

You understand that these are just linear equations, don't you: Ac+ Bd= 2 and A^2c+ B^2d= 5 with [tex]A= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex]. Yes, you could solve the first equation for c, [tex]c= (2- Bd)/A[/tex], and put that into the second equation: A^2[(2- Bd)/A)+ B^2d= A(2- Bd)+ B^2d= 2A- ABd+B^2d= 5 so (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A and d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB)

Personally, I would have multiplied the first equation by A to get A^2c+ ABd= 2A and then subtract that from the second equation: (B^2- AB)d= 5- 2A which immediately gives d= (5- 2A)/(B^2- AB). Similarly, multiply the first equation by B to get ABc+ B^2d= 2B and subtract that from the second equation to get (A^2- AB)c= 5- 2B so that c= (5- 2B)/(A^2- AB).

Now put [tex]A= 1+\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]B= 1- \sqrt{2}[/tex].
Which, of course, should simplify to...

c = (2 + Sqrt[2])/4

d = (2 - Sqrt[2])/4