1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of vectors, linear dependence

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if in a system of vectors: [itex]S_a =\{a_1, a_2, ..., a_n\} [/itex] every vector [itex]a_i[/itex] is a linear combination of a system of vectors: [itex]S_b = \{b_1, b_2, ..., b_m\}[/itex], then [itex]\mathrm{span}(S_a)\subseteq \mathrm{span}(S_b)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know due to [itex]a_j[/itex] being a linear combination, that every [itex]a_j\in S_a = \sum\limits_{j=1}^m c_j\cdot b_j[/itex] where [itex]b_j\in S_b, c_j\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]
    But where should I go from here? Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest taking a vector in ##span(S_a)## and show that it is necessarily in ##span(S_b)##.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ##c_j## can be zero. The span of a set S is the set of all linear combinations of elements of S, including linear combinations where one or more (maybe all) of the coefficients are zero.

I would do what Orodruin said, and avoid notations like
    every [itex]a_j\in S_a = \sum\limits_{j=1}^m c_j\cdot b_j[/itex] where...​
    It's ##a_j## that's equal to a linear combination, not ##S_a##. Oddly enough, the phrase
    every ##a_j\in S_a## is equal to ##\sum\limits_{j=1}^m c_j\cdot b_j## where...​
    would be considered acceptable.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4
    Alright. Let's denote the systems:
    [itex]A = \{a_1, a_2, ..., a_n\}\\B = \{b_1, b_2, ..., b_m\}[/itex]
    Let's denote the linear span of a system [itex]L(A), L(B)[/itex]. Then the respective linear spans would be:
    [itex]L(A) = \left\{a\ |\ a = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \lambda _k\cdot a_k, \lambda _k\in\mathbb{R}, a_k\in A \right\}\\
    L(B) = \left\{b\ |\ b = \sum\limits_{k=1}^m \lambda _k\cdot b_k, \lambda _k\in\mathbb{R}, b_k\in B \right\}[/itex]
    We know that every vector [itex]a\in A[/itex] is a linear combination of the vectors in system [itex]B[/itex], that is:
    [itex]a = \sum\limits_{k=1}^m\lambda _k\cdot b_k[/itex] where [itex] \lambda _k\in\mathbb{R}, b_k\in B[/itex].
    Considering that a linear span is a vector space, then it is closed under multiplication with a scalar. Therefore, every [itex]a\in L(A)[/itex] implies [itex]a\in L(B)\Leftrightarrow L(A)\subseteq L(B)_{\square}[/itex]

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Writing this down is a good start, but I don't follow your argument here:

I would just start with a simple statement like "Let ##x\in L(A)##." Then you can use the definition of ##L(A)## to say something about ##x##. This statement will involve the ##a_k##. Then you can use what you know about the ##a_k## to say something else. And so on. At some point you should be able to conclude that ##x\in L(B)##. Then you will have proved that ##L(A)\subseteq L(B)##.

Be careful with your statements. The quoted statement above is saying that every vector in the subspace ##L(A)## implies some statement. Statements are implied by other statements, not by vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted