Is the linear mapping T(x) one to one?

It is the same as saying that the zero vector cannot be written as a non-trivial linear combination of the rows or columns.So let's see what the actual theorem 9 is:Theorem 9 (in the context of the above):A matrix is linear independent if and only if the only way to write the zero vector as a linear combination of its rows or columns is by using the trivial linear combination (##\lambda_1 = \ldots = \lambda_k =0##).Note, that this is more general, because you can write a single vector as linear combination of a single vector. So the theorem is more general and therefore more valuable.The rest of your solution is actually right, but it is in my opinion
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This is for a linear algebra class, but it's taught my mathematicians, for mathematicians and not physicists or engineers so we write pseudo-proofs to explain things.

In Exercises 37–40, let T be the linear transformation whose standard matrix is given. In Exercises 37 and 38, decide if T is a one-to-one mapping.

38. ##A = \begin{bmatrix}
7&5&4&-9\\
10&6&16&-4\\
12&8&12&7\\
-8&-6&-2&5\\
\end{bmatrix}##

Homework Equations

Theorem 9:
upload_2018-1-28_14-43-38.png

Theorem 12:
upload_2018-1-28_14-43-52.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I used mathematica to row reduce the matrix and I got:
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1&0&7&0\\
0&1&-9&0\\
0&0&0&1\\
0&0&0&0\\
\end{bmatrix}##
Let T: ##\mathbb{R}^m \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n## such that ##T(\bar{x}) = A\bar{x}##, where ##A=[\bar{a_1} \bar{a_2} \bar{a_3} \bar{a_4}]##

By Theorem 12, ##T(\bar{x})## is one to one if the columns of ##A## are linearly independent.
Let there be an indexed set of vectors ##S_A = \{\bar{a_1}, \bar{a_2}, \bar{a_3}, \bar{a_4}\}##, then by theorem 9 ##S_A## is linearly dependent if ##\bar{0} \in S_A##, but ##\bar{0} \notin S_A##, so ##S_A## is linearly independent.
Therefore, ##T(x)## is one to one.

TL;DR My answer is that the mapping is one to one, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-28_14-43-38.png
    upload_2018-1-28_14-43-38.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 306
  • upload_2018-1-28_14-43-52.png
    upload_2018-1-28_14-43-52.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org
I personally don't believe that the mapping (judging by the RREF matrix) is one-to-one.

Why don't you try testing Theorem 12 (b)? Can you tell me what the definition of linear independence is?

Likes rmiller70015
Eclair_de_XII said:
I personally don't believe that the mapping (judging by the RREF matrix) is one-to-one.

Why don't you try testing Theorem 12 (b)? Can you tell me what the definition of linear independence is?

Yeah I see now that ##\bar{a_3}## is a linear combination of ##\bar{a_1}## and ##\bar{a_2}##, so ##\bar{0} \in S_A##.
As a follow up, I like to think in terms of row vectors. Would it be acceptable for me to take the transpose of a matrix and row reduce it to show that there is a zero vector solution?

rmiller70015 said:
By Theorem 12, ##T(\bar{x})## is one to one if the columns of ##A## are linearly independent.
Let there be an indexed set of vectors ##S_A = \{\bar{a_1}, \bar{a_2}, \bar{a_3}, \bar{a_4}\}##, then by theorem 9 ##S_A## is linearly dependent if ##\bar{0} \in S_A##, but ##\bar{0} \notin S_A##, so ##S_A## is linearly independent.
Therefore, ##T(x)## is one to one.

TL;DR My answer is that the mapping is one to one, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

Your theorem 9 does not contain "and only if"
A matrix linearly dependent if any linear combination of a proper supset of the rows or the columns is the zero vector.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-28_23-5-13.png
    upload_2018-1-28_23-5-13.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 518
Likes rmiller70015
Theorem 9 is rather strange. Of course it is trivially true, as the zero vector itself is linear dependent: From ##\lambda \cdot \vec{0} =\vec{0}## cannot be concluded ##\lambda = 0##. And if any vectors are added to a set that already contains ##\vec{0}##, then it remains linear dependent. This doesn't say much about the concept of linear independence.
willem2 said:
A matrix linearly dependent if any linear combination of a proper supset of the rows or the columns is the zero vector.
This is a very strange and actually wrong wording. A single matrix is always linear independent, as soon as it isn't the zero matrix. This is also trivially true, because a single vector is always linear independent as long as it isn't the zero vector. To say this about a matrix, the matrix must be considered as a vector, because the concept of linear (in-)dependence applies to vectors only. However, this is completely irrelevant here, as matrices are considered to represent a linear function and not a vector on its own.

So what we are actually talking about are the row or column vectors of the matrix, not the matrix itself.
The rest of the sentence "any linear combination of a proper supset of the rows or the columns is the zero vector" is right away nonsense.

Correct is: Any linear combination of rows or columns ##LC=\lambda_1\cdot v_1+\ldots +\lambda_k \cdot v_k ## (forget the subsets) which results in the zero vector (##LC=\vec{0}##), must necessarily be the trivial linear combination (##\lambda_1 = \ldots = \lambda_k =0##). One can always right the zero vector in this way. The point is, that this has to be the only way to do so, in case of linear independence.

1. What does it mean for a linear mapping to be one to one?

A linear mapping T(x) is considered one to one if every element in the input domain has a unique element in the output range. This means that for any two distinct inputs, the corresponding outputs will also be distinct. In other words, no two inputs will map to the same output.

2. How can I determine if a linear mapping is one to one?

To determine if a linear mapping T(x) is one to one, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the mapping at more than one point, then the mapping is not one to one. Another way to check is by using the definition of one to one mentioned above.

3. What happens if a linear mapping is not one to one?

If a linear mapping T(x) is not one to one, then it is referred to as a "many to one" mapping. This means that there are multiple inputs that map to the same output. In this case, the inverse of the mapping does not exist.

4. Can a linear mapping be both one to one and onto?

Yes, a linear mapping T(x) can be both one to one and onto. A mapping that is both one to one and onto is known as a "bijection" or a "one to one correspondence". This means that every element in the input domain has a unique element in the output range, and every element in the output range has a corresponding element in the input domain.

5. How can I prove that a linear mapping is one to one?

To prove that a linear mapping T(x) is one to one, you can use the definition of one to one mentioned above. You can also use the contrapositive of this statement, which states that if two inputs have the same output, then they must be the same input. Another way to prove this is by showing that the mapping is invertible, which is only possible if the mapping is one to one.