Taking a limit of a function where it does not exist?

In summary: The limit as x approaches 0 for sqrt(x+9) - 3 over sqrt(x) is 3/6 = 1/2In summary, the limit as x approaches 0 for the function sqrt(x+9)-3 over sqrt(x) is 1/2. This can be solved by using L'Hopital's rule and conjugating the numerator. However, it is important to note that the original question with sqrt(x-9) does not make sense as the function is not defined for x<9. It is also possible to talk about the limit for x to 0 by restricting the values to the intersection of a neighbourhood around x=0 and the domain of the function.
Zerius

Homework Statement

lim sqrt(x-9)-3
x->0 sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

l'hop?

The Attempt at a Solution

as far as i got was conjugate the top and arriving somewhere where it is still undefined. =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't sqrt(x+9) instead of sqrt(x-9)? That would make more sense.

Zerius said:

Homework Statement

lim sqrt(x-9)-3
x->0 sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

l'hop?

The Attempt at a Solution

as far as i got was conjugate the top and arriving somewhere where it is still undefined. =(

[tex]\frac{d}{d x} (\sqrt{x-9}-3) = ? [/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{d}{d x} \sqrt{x} = ? [/tex]
(you get to do these)
Try L'hospital. You can't try to conjugate the top with these square roots flying around. Also, +9 would make more sense, but doesn't change your method of solution.

Thanks, it was actually x+9 as you suggested. much easier to solve in this case, I conjugated the top which brings the Top to "x" and the bottom "sqrt(x)(sqrt(x+9)+3)" division of the variable brings

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x+9}+3}[/tex]

which makes lim x-> 0 go to 0/6 = 0

but I am still curious, is it possible to take a limit of a function where the function does not exist such as in this case?

Thanks

If it was like you wrote (so sqrt(x-9)), then it doesn't make any sense to take the limit for x to zero since sqrt(x-9) isn't defined for x<9. This is why usually in the formal definition of a limit, the 'a' of the limit "for x going to a" has to be a limit point of the domain of your function. Notice that the function doesn't have to be defined in a itself, but this guarantees that f exists in a neighbourhood arround a.

If you mean what I think you mean, it's possible. For example, as x tends to 0, the function [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] goes to infinity.

Because 1/x² exists in a neighbourhood arround x=0, that's not the case for e.g. sqrt(x-9).

TD said:
Because 1/x² exists in a neighbourhood arround x=0, that's not the case for e.g. sqrt(x-9).

You can have complex numbers as answers. I just wouldn't expect it in a first course in differential calculus.

TD, you're right. Strictly speaking about the set of real numbers, should the OP's question really be asking for a right-handed limit?

franznietzsche said:
You can have complex numbers as answers. I just wouldn't expect it in a first course in differential calculus.
I'm assuming the OP is studying limits of real-valued functions with a subset of the reals as domain.

JG89 said:
TD, you're right. Strictly speaking about the set of real numbers, should the OP's question really be asking for a right-handed limit?
The original question (with sqrt(x-9) and x to zero) makes no sense, not even when you're talking about left- or right-handed limits. But if you're looking at sqrt(x), which is not defined for x<0, then you could say you're dealing with a right-handed limit. It really depends on how (formal) you defined the limit. It's certainly possible to talk about "the limit" in such a case, if you're restricting the values you're looking at to the intersection of a neighbourhood arround x=a and the domain of the function (without a itself). Then, in a case like sqrt(x), the definition already "tells you" you're only looking at x>0. I'm not sure if I'm being very clear :redface:

I get what you mean. And yes, I was speaking about x + 9 in the square root sign.

Well in the case of sqrt(x+9) and taking the limit for x to 0, there's no problem with coming from either left or right. You (might) have that problem when you're taking the limit for x to -9, which would only be possible from the right side (which is the same situation as sqrt(x) for x to 0, of course :smile:).

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I know that the original question should be [tex]\frac{\sqrt(x+9)-3}{\sqrt(x)}[/tex]. But you must take this limit from the right because if you took it from the left, you would have the square root of a negative number in the denominator. Am I right?

Right, I wasn't thinking about the sqrt(x) in the denominator anymore. So you can certainly take the right-handed limit, but considering what I said (or was trying to say...) in post #10, it's also possible to talk about "the limit" for x to 0.

Thanks everyone, that was in preparation for my final today, which I hope I did not fail. Oh well! This is from a first year single variable differential calc course @ UBC.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function near that input value.

2. Can a limit of a function exist where the function itself does not exist?

Yes, a limit of a function can exist even if the function itself does not exist at that point. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function near that point, not the actual value at that point.

3. How do you determine the limit of a function where it does not exist?

To determine the limit of a function where it does not exist, you can use the left-hand and right-hand limits. If both the left-hand and right-hand limits approach the same value, then that value is the limit of the function. If they approach different values, then the limit does not exist.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of a limit of a function?

Understanding the concept of a limit of a function is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function near a certain point, even if the function is not defined at that point. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of taking the limit of a function where it does not exist?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of taking the limit of a function where it does not exist. For example, in physics, limits are used to analyze the behavior of a system as it approaches a certain state or condition. In economics, limits are used to analyze the behavior of a market as it approaches certain levels of supply and demand. In engineering, limits are used to analyze the behavior of a system as it approaches its maximum capacity.