1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking a limit of a function where it does not exist?

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim sqrt(x-9)-3
    x->0 sqrt(x)

2. Relevant equations

l'hop?

3. The attempt at a solution

as far as i got was conjugate the top and arriving somewhere where it is still undefined. =(

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Are you sure it isn't sqrt(x+9) instead of sqrt(x-9)? That would make more sense.

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

[tex]\frac{d}{d x} (\sqrt{x-9}-3) = ? [/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{d}{d x} \sqrt{x} = ? [/tex]
    (you get to do these)
    Try L'hospital. You can't try to conjugate the top with these square roots flying around. Also, +9 would make more sense, but doesn't change your method of solution.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    Thanks, it was actually x+9 as you suggested. much easier to solve in this case, I conjugated the top which brings the Top to "x" and the bottom "sqrt(x)(sqrt(x+9)+3)" division of the variable brings

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x+9}+3}[/tex]

which makes lim x-> 0 go to 0/6 = 0

but im still curious, is it possible to take a limit of a function where the function does not exist such as in this case?

Thanks

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

TD

Homework Helper

If it was like you wrote (so sqrt(x-9)), then it doesn't make any sense to take the limit for x to zero since sqrt(x-9) isn't defined for x<9. This is why usually in the formal definition of a limit, the 'a' of the limit "for x going to a" has to be a limit point of the domain of your function. Notice that the function doesn't have to be defined in a itself, but this guarantees that f exists in a neighbourhood arround a.

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6
    If you mean what I think you mean, it's possible. For example, as x tends to 0, the function [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] goes to infinity.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7

TD

Homework Helper

Because 1/x² exists in a neighbourhood arround x=0, that's not the case for e.g. sqrt(x-9).

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8
    You can have complex numbers as answers. I just wouldn't expect it in a first course in differential calculus.

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9
    TD, you're right. Strictly speaking about the set of real numbers, should the OP's question really be asking for a right-handed limit?

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

TD

Homework Helper

I'm assuming the OP is studying limits of real-valued functions with a subset of the reals as domain.

The original question (with sqrt(x-9) and x to zero) makes no sense, not even when you're talking about left- or right-handed limits. But if you're looking at sqrt(x), which is not defined for x<0, then you could say you're dealing with a right-handed limit. It really depends on how (formal) you defined the limit. It's certainly possible to talk about "the limit" in such a case, if you're restricting the values you're looking at to the intersection of a neighbourhood arround x=a and the domain of the function (without a itself). Then, in a case like sqrt(x), the definition already "tells you" you're only looking at x>0. I'm not sure if I'm being very clear :redface:

12. Dec 13, 2008 #11
    I get what you mean. And yes, I was speaking about x + 9 in the square root sign.

13. Dec 13, 2008 #12

TD

Homework Helper

Well in the case of sqrt(x+9) and taking the limit for x to 0, there's no problem with coming from either left or right. You (might) have that problem when you're taking the limit for x to -9, which would only be possible from the right side (which is the same situation as sqrt(x) for x to 0, of course :smile:).

14. Dec 13, 2008 #13
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I know that the original question should be [tex]\frac{\sqrt(x+9)-3}{\sqrt(x)}[/tex]. But you must take this limit from the right because if you took it from the left, you would have the square root of a negative number in the denominator. Am I right?

15. Dec 13, 2008 #14

TD

Homework Helper

Right, I wasn't thinking about the sqrt(x) in the denominator anymore. So you can certainly take the right-handed limit, but considering what I said (or was trying to say...) in post #10, it's also possible to talk about "the limit" for x to 0.

16. Dec 13, 2008 #15
    Thanks everyone, that was in preparation for my final today, which I hope I did not fail. Oh well! This is from a first year single variable differential calc course @ UBC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?