1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking graduate level courses as an undergraduate.

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    What eligibility is required to take graduate level courses in undergrad once you have the prerequisites. I am assuming it is the grades. Most websites state, permission of the instructor. What factors are taken into consideration by the instructor to make this decision?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

IGU

I'm sure that in practice it depends entirely on the institution, the department, and the specific instructor, but in theory just talk to the instructor. If the instructor is nice, there will be a short discussion to see if you would just be wasting your time on something too difficult for you. If not, then nature will take its course one way or the other. I've seen graduate math classes with more undergrads than grads, and I've seen classes where all the undergrads dropped out because the class was too hard for them.

You should be aware that all the prerequisites are not always mentioned, as the context is that the course is meant for grad students. The assumption may very well be made that naturally you're had undergraduate courses in topology, real and complex analysis, etc. This depends on the institution and department and it's up to you to ask the right questions. If it were me, I'd have a chat with the department chair to see if there's any policy I should be aware of.

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually just the prerequisites unless the course in particular you want has some unofficial prerequisites. The course description will give the official requirements.

5. Sep 26, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys!! Will see how that goes when its time to take those courses. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook