1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tan=cos/sin help

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    sin(a+b)/sin(a+c)=[ sin(2b)/sin(2c)]^(1/2)
    then prove tan^2a=tanbtanc
    I have reached till {tan(a)cos(b)+ sin(b)} * {sin(c)cos(c)}^(1/2)=
    {tan(a)cos(c)+sin(c)}* { sin(b) cos(b)}^(1/2)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Can you assume that a+b+c = 180 degrees ?

I think there is something missing in your question. How elese can you prove the first equality ?

Or is it given ? In that case, you can find a connection between the angles by manipulating this first equality.

marlon

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    you have all the info you need. i squared everything, and then solved for tan^2a. its messy, but it does work out. when you square it all, the tana terms cancel. and then you just have to factor and divide ect.

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4
    no there is no relation between the angles.the relation given is not going to help much. I think I will be getting a method for that sum.however thank u

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    it works out. i said that already. just keep trucking. like i said, square everything and start gathering terms. its just a lot of math, but it does work.

7. Nov 17, 2005 #6
    try using some of these identities

Tan=cos/sin

Sin(a+b)=
    SinaCosb+CosaSinb

Cos(a+b)
    CosaCosb-SinaSinb

ya thats my knowledge of trig

8. Nov 17, 2005 #7
    the OP already used those identities. the only other identy needed is knowing tanx= sinx/cosx. otherwise its all just rearranging the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?