Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tan=cos/sin help

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    sin(a+b)/sin(a+c)=[ sin(2b)/sin(2c)]^(1/2)
    then prove tan^2a=tanbtanc
    I have reached till {tan(a)cos(b)+ sin(b)} * {sin(c)cos(c)}^(1/2)=
    {tan(a)cos(c)+sin(c)}* { sin(b) cos(b)}^(1/2)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Can you assume that a+b+c = 180 degrees ?

I think there is something missing in your question. How elese can you prove the first equality ?

Or is it given ? In that case, you can find a connection between the angles by manipulating this first equality.

marlon

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3
    you have all the info you need. i squared everything, and then solved for tan^2a. its messy, but it does work out. when you square it all, the tana terms cancel. and then you just have to factor and divide ect.

5. Nov 15, 2005 #4
    no there is no relation between the angles.the relation given is not going to help much. I think I will be getting a method for that sum.however thank u

6. Nov 15, 2005 #5
    it works out. i said that already. just keep trucking. like i said, square everything and start gathering terms. its just a lot of math, but it does work.

7. Nov 17, 2005 #6
    try using some of these identities

Tan=cos/sin

Sin(a+b)=
    SinaCosb+CosaSinb

Cos(a+b)
    CosaCosb-SinaSinb

ya thats my knowledge of trig

8. Nov 17, 2005 #7
    the OP already used those identities. the only other identy needed is knowing tanx= sinx/cosx. otherwise its all just rearranging the equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook