1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Bundles, T(MxN) is Diffeomorphic to TM x TN

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If M and N are smooth manifolds, then T(MxN) is diffeomorphic to TM x TN

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm here

let ((p,q),v) [itex]\in[/itex] T(MxN)

then p [itex]\in[/itex] M and q [itex]\in[/itex] N and v [itex]\in[/itex] T(p,q)(MxN).

so T(p,q)(MxN) v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m+n}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

= [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

not sure if this is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You kind of assume that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/itex] are vector fields on both [itex]M\times N[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex]. I think you should be a little more careful than this...

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    Hi Micro, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, am am assuming however that

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

are bases for TM and TN respectively and I'm not sure if that's good enough.

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you assume [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\vert_p[/itex] is both in [itex]T_pM[/itex] and [itex]T_pN[/itex]. You can't do that.

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5
    v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

so i need to find a map that takes v [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (w,y)

where w[itex]\in[/itex]TpM and y[itex]\in[/itex]TpN

and (w,y) [itex]\in[/itex] TpM x TqN

does this sound better? I was thinking about this problem a lot. I'm not sure if that's a diffeo right off the get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted