Tangent Bundles, T(MxN) is Diffeomorphic to TM x TN

In summary, the conversation discusses the diffeomorphism between T(MxN) and TM x TN, where M and N are smooth manifolds. The attempt at a solution involves finding a map that takes v to (w,y), where w and y are in TpM and TqN, respectively. However, there may be some issues with assuming \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\vert_p is in both T_pM and T_pN.
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

If M and N are smooth manifolds, then T(MxN) is diffeomorphic to TM x TN

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm here

let ((p,q),v) [itex]\in[/itex] T(MxN)

then p [itex]\in[/itex] M and q [itex]\in[/itex] N and v [itex]\in[/itex] T(p,q)(MxN).

so T(p,q)(MxN) v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m+n}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

= [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

not sure if this is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You kind of assume that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/itex] are vector fields on both [itex]M\times N[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex]. I think you should be a little more careful than this...

Hi Micro, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, am am assuming however that

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

are bases for TM and TN respectively and I'm not sure if that's good enough.

Well, you assume [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\vert_p[/itex] is both in [itex]T_pM[/itex] and [itex]T_pN[/itex]. You can't do that.

v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

so i need to find a map that takes v [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (w,y)

where w[itex]\in[/itex]TpM and y[itex]\in[/itex]TpN

and (w,y) [itex]\in[/itex] TpM x TqN

does this sound better? I was thinking about this problem a lot. I'm not sure if that's a diffeo right off the get.

1. What is a tangent bundle?

A tangent bundle is a mathematical construction that combines the tangent spaces of a manifold, which is a smooth, curved space, into a single object. It is used in differential geometry to study the behavior of curves and surfaces on a manifold.

2. How does the tangent bundle differ from the tangent space?

The tangent bundle is a collection of all the tangent spaces of a manifold, while the tangent space is a single vector space attached to each point on the manifold. The tangent bundle takes into account the entire manifold, while the tangent space only focuses on one point at a time.

3. What does it mean for T(MxN) to be diffeomorphic to TM x TN?

Diffeomorphic means that two spaces have the same structure and can be continuously deformed into one another. In this case, it means that the tangent bundle of the product manifold MxN is equivalent to the product of the tangent bundles of M and N. This allows us to work with the tangent bundles separately, rather than having to consider the product manifold as a whole.

4. What is the significance of this theorem in mathematics?

This theorem is significant because it allows us to break down the study of a product manifold into smaller, more manageable pieces. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between tangent bundles and tangent spaces, and how they behave on product manifolds.

5. How is this theorem applied in real-world problems?

This theorem is applied in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows for a more efficient and simplified analysis of curved spaces and their behavior, which has many practical applications in various fields.