Tangent Bundles, T(MxN) is Diffeomorphic to TM x TN

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bundles Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
BrainHurts
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If M and N are smooth manifolds, then T(MxN) is diffeomorphic to TM x TN

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I'm here

let ((p,q),v) [itex]\in[/itex] T(MxN)

then p [itex]\in[/itex] M and q [itex]\in[/itex] N and v [itex]\in[/itex] T(p,q)(MxN).

so T(p,q)(MxN) v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m+n}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

= [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

not sure if this is it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You kind of assume that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}[/itex] are vector fields on both [itex]M\times N[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex]. I think you should be a little more careful than this...
 
Hi Micro, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, am am assuming however that

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{p}[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{q}[/itex]

are bases for TM and TN respectively and I'm not sure if that's good enough.
 
Well, you assume [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\vert_p[/itex] is both in [itex]T_pM[/itex] and [itex]T_pN[/itex]. You can't do that.
 
v = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{m}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex] + [itex]\sum_{i=}^{m+1}[/itex] [itex]v_{i}\frac{\partial}{∂x_{i}}|_{(p,q)}[/itex]

so i need to find a map that takes v [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (w,y)

where w[itex]\in[/itex]TpM and y[itex]\in[/itex]TpN

and (w,y) [itex]\in[/itex] TpM x TqN

does this sound better? I was thinking about this problem a lot. I'm not sure if that's a diffeo right off the get.