1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffeomorphism From Tangent Bundle to Product

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    Show that [itex]TS^1[/itex] is diffeomorphic to [itex]TM×TN[/itex].

([itex]TS^1[/itex] is the tangent bundle of the 1-sphere.)

We can use the theorem stating the following.

If [itex]M[/itex] is a smooth [itex]n[/itex]-manifold with or without boundary, and [itex]M[/itex] can be covered by a single smooth chart, then [itex]TM[/itex] is diffeomorphic to [itex]M×ℝ^n.[/itex]

Clearly, I must be looking for a single smooth chart on [itex]S^1[/itex], but I am very uncertain on how to go about doing this. Any tips on managing the nuances are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have ##M## and ##N## been defined? ##TS^1## has a fairly simple geometric picture, but if we don't know what ##M## and ##N## are, we can't really help you.

It is impossible to cover ##S^1## with a single chart, since the endpoints of the line would map to the same point.

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    My mistake, I meant [itex]S^1×ℝ[/itex] instead of [itex]M×N[/itex]

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4
    This. It's fairly well known that any atlas on ##S^1## must have at least two charts. The reason, as fzero mentions, is a chart must be equipped with a homeomorphism. For us to use a single chart here, if we start at a point, we must necessarily end on that point. Thus, the map from ##S^1## to ##\mathbb{R}## wouldn't even be single-valued, let alone a homeomorphism. Thus, we'd need two charts.

You mean "instead of ##TM\times TN##"?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. Sep 30, 2013 #5

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so let's assume that we have to show that ##TS^1## is diffeomorphic to ##S^1\times \mathbb{R}##. Since we know that we need at least two charts to cover ##S^1##, we know that we will need at least two charts to cover ##TS^1##.

You should start by describing ##TS^1## at a point ##p## of ##S^1##. Then pick a covering set of charts for ##S^1## and describe the tangent space on each chart. Ultimately you will want to show that there is a basis for smooth vector fields that is valid at every point of ##S^1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted