1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line and points it intersects a curve

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    This is another question from last year's calculus exam that I'm a bit stuck on.

" Let f be the real function given by f(x) = −x4+2x2+3x.
    (a) Determine the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1.
    (b) Show that the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1 is also the tangent line to another point on that curve and find the coordinates of that point.
    (c) Find the subset of R on which f is convex. "​

My attempt:

(a) By putting x=1 into the original f(x)= −x4+2x2+3x, I get y=4. So I know the coordinates of this point are (1,4). I also know that f'(x)= -4x3+4x+3. By putting x=1 into this I get the gradient m=3. Putting all this into the line formula I get y-4=3(x-1), which rearranges to y=3x+1.

(b) Since I know the gradient of the line is 3, I just need to find the points where the derivative equals it. So I set -4x3+4x+3=3 and solve. Rearranging I get 4x(1-x2)=0. This only equals 0 when x= 0, 1 or -1. So I think this line is tangent to the points (0,0), (1,4) and (-1,-2). This is where I get confused, the question says there are two points on the curve where the line is tangent to it. I know (1,4) is definitely one, but I have two others to choose from?

(c) I'm pretty stuck on this. Am I right in thinking that if the second derivative is >=0, the function is convex upwards? If that is the case then I have to find when -12x²+4 >= 0? Even if that is the right way I'm having trouble working it out, I'm getting something like when -sqrt(4/12) < x < sqrt(4/12).

Please let me know if I'm along the right lines for 1 and 2 and direct me for 3? :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Yes, the slope at those points are the same (m = 3), but besides (1, 4), which point is on the tangent line y = 3x + 1? Part (b) states:

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    Ah okay, so once I know the different coordinates I just check to see which ones are on the tangent line. That means (1,4) and (-1,-2) are the answers. Makes sense, thanks!

What about part c?

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the graph is convex when the second derivative is positive. That is, as you say, [itex]-12x^2+ 4\ge 0[/itex]. That is the same as [itex]-12x^2e\ge -4[/itex] and then [itex]x^2\le 1/3[/itex] which is the same as what you give: [itex]-1/\sqrt{3}\le x\le 1/\sqrt{3}[/itex].

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    Thanks. This morning I had no idea how to do this question but I'm surprised at how straight forward it is. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook