Tangent line and points it intersects a curve

In summary, the question involves finding the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1 and showing that this same tangent line is also tangent to another point on the curve. By setting the derivative of f(x) equal to the slope of the tangent line and solving for x, the points (1,4) and (-1,-2) are found to be on the tangent line. To find the subset of R on which f is convex, the second derivative is set to be greater than or equal to 0, resulting in the interval -1/\sqrt{3}\le x\le 1/\sqrt{3}.
Kaldanis
This is another question from last year's calculus exam that I'm a bit stuck on.

" Let f be the real function given by f(x) = −x4+2x2+3x.
(a) Determine the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1.
(b) Show that the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1 is also the tangent line to another point on that curve and find the coordinates of that point.
(c) Find the subset of R on which f is convex. "​
My attempt:

(a) By putting x=1 into the original f(x)= −x4+2x2+3x, I get y=4. So I know the coordinates of this point are (1,4). I also know that f'(x)= -4x3+4x+3. By putting x=1 into this I get the gradient m=3. Putting all this into the line formula I get y-4=3(x-1), which rearranges to y=3x+1.

(b) Since I know the gradient of the line is 3, I just need to find the points where the derivative equals it. So I set -4x3+4x+3=3 and solve. Rearranging I get 4x(1-x2)=0. This only equals 0 when x= 0, 1 or -1. So I think this line is tangent to the points (0,0), (1,4) and (-1,-2). This is where I get confused, the question says there are two points on the curve where the line is tangent to it. I know (1,4) is definitely one, but I have two others to choose from?

(c) I'm pretty stuck on this. Am I right in thinking that if the second derivative is >=0, the function is convex upwards? If that is the case then I have to find when -12x²+4 >= 0? Even if that is the right way I'm having trouble working it out, I'm getting something like when -sqrt(4/12) < x < sqrt(4/12).

Please let me know if I'm along the right lines for 1 and 2 and direct me for 3? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kaldanis said:
(b) Since I know the gradient of the line is 3, I just need to find the points where the derivative equals it. So I set -4x3+4x+3=3 and solve. Rearranging I get 4x(1-x2)=0. This only equals 0 when x= 0, 1 or -1. So I think this line is tangent to the points (0,0), (1,4) and (-1,-2). This is where I get confused, the question says there are two points on the curve where the line is tangent to it. I know (1,4) is definitely one, but I have two others to choose from?
Yes, the slope at those points are the same (m = 3), but besides (1, 4), which point is on the tangent line y = 3x + 1? Part (b) states:
Kaldanis said:
(b) Show that the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) at x = 1 is also the tangent line to another point on that curve and find the coordinates of that point.

eumyang said:
Yes, the slope at those points are the same (m = 3), but besides (1, 4), which point is on the tangent line y = 3x + 1? Part (b) states:

Ah okay, so once I know the different coordinates I just check to see which ones are on the tangent line. That means (1,4) and (-1,-2) are the answers. Makes sense, thanks!

What about part c?

Yes, the graph is convex when the second derivative is positive. That is, as you say, [itex]-12x^2+ 4\ge 0[/itex]. That is the same as [itex]-12x^2e\ge -4[/itex] and then [itex]x^2\le 1/3[/itex] which is the same as what you give: [itex]-1/\sqrt{3}\le x\le 1/\sqrt{3}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the graph is convex when the second derivative is positive. That is, as you say, [itex]-12x^2+ 4\ge 0[/itex]. That is the same as [itex]-12x^2e\ge -4[/itex] and then [itex]x^2\le 1/3[/itex] which is the same as what you give: [itex]-1/\sqrt{3}\le x\le 1/\sqrt{3}[/itex].

Thanks. This morning I had no idea how to do this question but I'm surprised at how straight forward it is. :)

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, known as the point of tangency. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How is a tangent line different from a secant line?

Unlike a tangent line, a secant line intersects a curve at two points. It represents the average rate of change of the curve between those two points.

3. How is the slope of a tangent line calculated?

The slope of a tangent line is calculated using the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency. This can be found using the limit definition of the derivative or by using derivative rules.

4. Can a tangent line intersect a curve more than once?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a curve at one point. If it intersects the curve at multiple points, it would no longer be a tangent line.

5. How can tangent lines be used to approximate a curve?

Tangent lines can be used to approximate a curve by using the slope of the tangent line at a given point to estimate the slope of the curve at that point. This can help us understand the behavior of the curve and make predictions about its future values.