Tangent line approximation with sinx/x + siny/y = C

In summary: I checked your algebra and it looked good.I then checked the answer I gave for y' ≈ 0.00728974 and it was good after all.That gives the final answer y ≈ 0.905801 .
franklingroye

Homework Statement

Suppose the point (pi/3, pi/4) is on the curve sinx/x + siny/y = C, where C is a constant. Use the tangent line approximation to find the y-coordinate of the point on the curve with x-coordinate pi/3 + pi/180.

Homework Equations

TLA: f(a) + f'(a)(x-a)

Where a is the known value of x and x is the value you are estimating the output of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Before differentiating I figured that I could replace siny/y with siny * y^-1.
I got here:

((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 + y’(siny)(-y-2) + cosy(y’)(y-1) = 0

which I THINK can be simplified to:

((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 + y’(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)

dunno where to go with it from there D:

MAYBE, here's what I attempted:

((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2 = -y’(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)
-((((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2)/(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)) = y'

But that doesn't seem right. The question gave the curve sinx/x + siny/y = C with the point (pi/3, pi/4) given. Substituting I got C = 1.7273097. However using tangent line approximation with the derivative I calculated I got the y coordinate there to be 418.879:

f(a) + f’(a)(x – a)
f(π/3) + f’(π/3)(π/180)
1.7273097 + 24000(π/180)

I know I could just do normal algebra for this instead of calculus but the instructions say to use tangent line approximation so I think I'd get points docked. I am pretty sure though the answer I'm after is y = 0.905801 based on just solving for the values using C = 1.7273097 and x = pi/3 + pi/180... pretty far off from 418.879.

Someone please help, I've got no idea what to do here.

If it helps get the help any quicker I don't really care about a pretty, formatted answer... I really need help on this soon so whatever helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
franklingroye said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the point (pi/3, pi/4) is on the curve sinx/x + siny/y = C, where C is a constant. Use the tangent line approximation to find the y-coordinate of the point on the curve with x-coordinate pi/3 + pi/180.

Homework Equations

TLA: f(a) + f'(a)(x-a)

Where a is the known value of x and x is the value you are estimating the output of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Before differentiating I figured that I could replace siny/y with siny * y^-1.
I got here:

((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 + y’(siny)(-y-2) + cosy(y’)(y-1) = 0

which I THINK can be simplified to:

((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 + y’(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)

dunno where to go with it from there D:

MAYBE, here's what I attempted:

((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2 = -y’(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)
-((((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2)/(siny*-y-2 + cosy*y-1)) = y'

But that doesn't seem right. The question gave the curve sinx/x + siny/y = C with the point (pi/3, pi/4) given. Substituting I got C = 1.7273097. However using tangent line approximation with the derivative I calculated I got the y coordinate there to be 418.879:

f(a) + f’(a)(x – a)
f(π/3) + f’(π/3)(π/180)
1.7273097 + 24000(π/180)
Hello franklingroye. Welcome to PF.

I agree with your result for C.

What is your result for y' when x = π/3 and y = π/4 ?

I got y' ≈ -0.000876215 there.

The way you are using the tangent line approximation is wrong.

y = f(x), so f(π/3) = π/4

SammyS said:
Hello franklingroye. Welcome to PF.

I agree with your result for C.

What is your result for y' when x = π/3 and y = π/4 ?

I got y' ≈ -0.000876215 there.

The way you are using the tangent line approximation is wrong.

y = f(x), so f(π/3) = π/4

Goodness, I can't believe I managed to mess up with f(x) haha.

I'm not sure how to really get y' out of this is the issue I am having. If I leave it as-is instead of changing it to siny*y-1:

((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 + y'((y)(cosx) – siny)/y2
((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2 = -y'((y)(cosy) – siny)/y2
[((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2]/(y)(cosy) – siny)/y2 = -y'
-[((x)(cosx) – sinx)/x2]/(y)(cosy) – siny)/y2 = y'
-((((pi/3)(cos(pi/3)) - sin(pi/3))/(pi/3)^2)/((((pi/4))(cos(pi/4)) - sin(pi/4))/(pi/4)^2)) = -1.269321

I've got no idea where I'm screwing up

I tested the TLA equation with y' = -0.000876215 and it's correct but now I just need to figure out how to get there. :\ I'm obviously messing up somewhere in the differentiation process.

I checked your work to here and it looked good.
((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2 = -y’(siny*(-y-2) + cosy*y-1)​

Solving that for y', I got:
[itex]\displaystyle y'=-\frac{y^2\left(x\cos(x)-\sin(x)\right)}{x^2\left(y\cos(y)-\sin(y)\right)}[/itex]​

And I see that I had a sign error when I calculated y' at the given point.

It should have been y' ≈ 0.00728974

(Yes, it's positive.)

SammyS said:
I checked your work to here and it looked good.
((x)(cosx) - sinx)/x2 = -y’(siny*(-y-2) + cosy*y-1)​

Solving that for y', I got:
[itex]\displaystyle y'=-\frac{y^2\left(x\cos(x)-\sin(x)\right)}{x^2\left(y\cos(y)-\sin(y)\right)}[/itex]​

And I see that I had a sign error when I calculated y' at the given point.

It should have been y' ≈ 0.00728974

(Yes, it's positive.)

I don't get what's going on here, using my calculator to simply plug in pi/3 and pi/4 for x/y in your derivative I end up with 0.15257. ,-,

franklingroye said:
I don't get what's going on here, using my calculator to simply plug in pi/3 and pi/4 for x/y in your derivative I end up with 0.15257. ,-,
Check parentheses.

After rechecking my algebra, I now get y' ≈ -1.26932145 ; back to a negative, and it should be negative when considering the values of x & y used in
For the values of x & y used here, cos(x)=1/2, sin(x)=(√3)/2, cos(y)=sin(y)=(√2)/2 .

1. What is the equation for tangent line approximation with sinx/x + siny/y = C?

The equation for tangent line approximation with sinx/x + siny/y = C is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How is the slope of the tangent line calculated in this equation?

The slope of the tangent line in this equation is calculated by taking the derivative of the function sinx/x + siny/y = C and plugging in the x and y values of the point of tangency.

3. What does the value of C represent in this equation?

The value of C represents the constant value of the function sinx/x + siny/y at the point of tangency. It is used to determine the y-intercept of the tangent line.

4. Can this equation be used to approximate any point on the curve?

Yes, this equation can be used to approximate any point on the curve as long as the point is close to the point of tangency. The closer the point is to the point of tangency, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. What are the limitations of using tangent line approximation?

One limitation of using tangent line approximation is that it can only be used to approximate points that are close to the point of tangency. Also, it is only an approximation and may not accurately represent the curve at points far from the point of tangency.