1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent plane of a parametric function

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ok, so I'm really hoping someone can help me logic my way through this.

I have a function to the effect of: ##r(u,v)=f(u,v)\hat{i} + g(u,v)\hat{j} +h(u,v)\hat{k}##

I need to find an equation of a tangent plane at a point ##(u_{0},v_{0})##
    and quite frankly I'm at a loss on how to do this.

So what I ultimately want is 2 vectors tangent to the surface at that point, I'm not sure that with what I have I can simply chain some derivatives together and cross them...

If I had z(x,y) I would simply take ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} (cross) \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}## as that would give me 2 (presumably different) vectors and crossing them will give me my normal to use in my tangent function...

Now how to apply this to a parametric function in 3-space...

Ok... I think I just answered my question as I was typing this... (It happens that way quite a bit)
    ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial u} (cross) \frac{\partial r}{\partial v}##

But what if I had ##r(u,v,w)## ?
    In my head , whether I chose to cross
    ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial u} (cross) \frac{\partial r}{\partial v}##
    or
    ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial u} (cross) \frac{\partial r}{\partial w}##
    or
    ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial w} (cross) \frac{\partial r}{\partial v}##
    It really shouldn't matter, I guess at this point I just want to hear somebody's input other than my own. All of these will give me a normal, no?

(once I plug in my point that is...)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A surface only has two parameters. So you will only run into the ##r_u\times r_v## case for a surface. And you are correct, that is how you find a normal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted