Tangent space and tangent plane

In summary, a tangent space is a vector space used to approximate the behavior of a smooth surface at a specific point. It is related to a tangent plane, which is a two-dimensional space tangent to a three-dimensional surface. The concept of a tangent space is important in understanding the local behavior of a surface and is determined by the derivatives of the coordinates at the given point. It can exist in any number of dimensions.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

So I'm a little confused about what a tangent space is. Is it the same as the equation of the tangent plane in lower dimensions?

My notes define the tangent space as follows.
Let M be a hypersurface of Rd.
Let x(s) be a differentiable curve in M such that x(0)=x0 is in M.
Then x'(0) is a tangent vector.

The tangent space at x0 of M is
TxoM= { v in Rd: there exists a curve x(s): [-1,1]->M such that x(0)=x0, x'(0)=v}

TxoM is a vector space of the same dimension as M.
====================

Now I don't understand why TxoM is a vector space. A vector space MUST contain the zero vector, which is the origin.

But even in lower dimensions, say M is the unit sphere in R3, the tangent plane at (0,0,1) clearly does not pass through the origin (0,0,0). How can this be a vector space?

Homework Equations

Tangent Space

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Any help/clarifications would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are confusing the origin of the tangent space and that of the manifold itself. Generally speaking, a manifold doesn't have to be a subset of Euclidean space, so it usually doesn't even make sense to speak of the "origin" for the manifold. Even if the manifold is a subset of Euclidean space as you are using, the manifold may not contain the origin of Rd.

As for the tangent space itself, I'll use your example of a 2-sphere in R3 and the tangent space at (0,0,1), as is roughly depicted by this picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Image_Tangent-plane.svg

The zero vector for this particular tangent space would just be (0,0,1), that is, the p in TpM.

[itex]T_{x_0}M[/itex] is a vector space. The curve x(t)=x0 is a curve with derivative the zero vector. In R^n you can write the tangent plane at x0 as [itex]T_{x_0}M + x_0[/itex]. The tangent space and the tangent plane are a little different.

OK, now I think I understand it better. So in my sphere example, the tangent plane at (0,0,1) and the tangent space at (0,0,1) are just NOT the same.

TxoM= { v in Rd: there exists a differentiable curve x(s): [-1,1]->M such that x(0)=x0, x'(0)=v}

But now, it is still not clear to me why (0,0,...,0) must be an element of the tangent space. What kind of differentiable curve on M going through the point x0 would have x'(0)=(0,0,...,0) as the tangent vector?

kingwinner said:
OK, now I think I understand it better. So in my sphere example, the tangent plane at (0,0,1) and the tangent space at (0,0,1) are just NOT the same.

TxoM= { v in Rd: there exists a differentiable curve x(s): [-1,1]->M such that x(0)=x0, x'(0)=v}

But now, it is still not clear to me why (0,0,...,0) must be an element of the tangent space. What kind of differentiable curve on M going through the point x0 would have x'(0)=(0,0,...,0) as the tangent vector?

I told you in my last post. x(t)=x0 goes through x0 at t=0 and has derivative 0.

For 0 to be in Tx0M, there must exist a curve x(s): [-1,1]->M such that x(0)=x0, x'(0)=0.

But for any smooth curve, x'(0) can't be 0, right? So if the hypersurface is smooth at x0, every curve going through x0 will be smooth and x'(0) can never be 0?

kingwinner said:
For 0 to be in Tx0M, there must exist a curve x(s): [-1,1]->M such that x(0)=x0, x'(0)=0.

But for any smooth curve, x'(0) can't be 0, right? So if the hypersurface is smooth at x0, every curve going through x0 will be smooth and x'(0) can never be 0?

You are making up that bit about a smooth curve never having derivative 0. What's not smooth about x(s)=x0? All the derivatives exist and are 0.

Yes, I screwed up...sigh. x'(0) nonzero => smooth, but the converse is false.

One more question: In the definition, we have x(s): [-1,1]->M. Why is the [-1,1] part necessary?

Thanks.

kingwinner said:
Yes, I screwed up...sigh. x'(0) nonzero => smooth, but the converse is false.

One more question: In the definition, we have x(s): [-1,1]->M. Why is the [-1,1] part necessary?

Thanks.

The specific interval [-1,1] is unimportant. Any domain for s including an interval around the origin will do. The intent is just to say x(s) doesn't have to be defined for all s. Just near s=0.

1. What is a tangent space?

A tangent space is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and calculus. It is a vector space that approximates the behavior of a smooth surface at a particular point.

2. How is a tangent space related to a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a two-dimensional space that is tangent to a three-dimensional surface at a specific point. It is a specific instance of a tangent space, which can be of any dimension.

3. Why is the concept of a tangent space important?

The tangent space is crucial in understanding the local behavior of a surface or curve at a specific point. It allows us to approximate the surface with a linear space and make calculations and predictions about its behavior.

4. How is the basis of a tangent space determined?

The basis of a tangent space is determined by the derivatives of the coordinates of the surface or curve at the given point. These derivatives are known as tangent vectors and form the basis of the tangent space.

5. Can a tangent space exist in higher dimensions?

Yes, a tangent space can exist in any number of dimensions. In the case of a surface in three-dimensional space, the tangent space is a two-dimensional plane. In four-dimensional space, the tangent space would be a three-dimensional space, and so on.