Tangent to Parametric Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the equation of the tangent to a curve at a specific point using parametric equations. The resulting equation was 0/0, leading to a discussion about the nature of the tangent at a cusp and the use of L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of the derivative. It was determined that there are infinitely many choices for the tangent line at a cusp, but the line at x = -pi/2 can be considered the best linear approximation.
Gabble1

Homework Statement

Consider the curve with parametric equations: x = t - cos t, y = sin t.
Determine exactly the equation of the tangent to the curve at the point where t=-0.5pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of a line is y - y1 = m ( x - x1 )
I substituted t = -pi/2 into x and y to get x = -pi/2 and y = -1
Differentiating dy/dx as (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) came out as cos t/1 + sin t
When substituting in for t = -pi/2, I was left with 0/0
From this point, I am unsure what the nature and equation of the tangent would be, as a horizontal line would have 0 as the numerator and a non-0 value as the denominator, and vice versa for a vertical line.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about drawing a graph?

I have to solve it algebraically. Plotted the graph on WolframAlpha, doesn't seem to be of any use.

If you get 0/0 algebraically, it's still worth looking at the picture (e.g. on this link) to find out why you are in trouble...
Perhaps then you can algebraically compare the limit of the tangent line when coming from the left with idem when coming from the right.

Cheers for the link, just had a look at the article. Would this mean that at the cusp, a tangent would not exist or would it simply be a vertical line at x = -pi/2 ?

I have no idea of the formal definition of "tangent line" in your context. As a physicist, I would sign off for ##x = -{\pi\over 2}##: the fact that the motion changes direction at that point doesn't bother me.

This link digs in a bit deeper, but I don't get any wiser from it.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Ah fair enough, thank you very much for your help

To get a different perspective, you can always apply L'Hopiatal's rule to your 0/0 limit. If you needed to discuss the limits of the derivatives as they approach the time -pi/2.
However, there are infinitely many choices of lines that are tangent to a cusp like that.

RUber said:
To get a different perspective, you can always apply L'Hopiatal's rule to your 0/0 limit. If you needed to discuss the limits of the derivatives as they approach the time -pi/2.
However, there are infinitely many choices of lines that are tangent to a cusp like that.
Beg to differ. Left derivative and right derivative "go to" ##-\infty## and ##+\infty##, respectively, but that happens to give the same tangent line.
In the second link I gave (definition 1 page 136 ) that line actually does give the best linear approximation near the cusp. So -- unlike for y = |x| -- there is an argument to claim that ##x=-{\pi\over 2}## is the tangent line.

Likes RUber

1. What is a tangent to parametric equations?

A tangent to parametric equations is a line that touches and intersects a curve defined by parametric equations at a single point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the tangent to parametric equations?

To find the tangent to parametric equations, you can use the formula y = dy/dx * (x - x0) + y0, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the curve, (x0, y0) represents the coordinates of the point of tangency, and x represents the variable of the parametric equations.

3. What is the significance of finding the tangent to parametric equations?

Finding the tangent to parametric equations is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to solve problems related to optimization and motion.

4. Can a parametric equation have more than one tangent?

Yes, a parametric equation can have more than one tangent. This can happen when the curve changes direction or has a turning point at a specific point.

5. How is the slope of a tangent to parametric equations related to the derivative of the curve?

The slope of a tangent to parametric equations is equal to the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency. This means that the slope of the tangent line and the derivative of the curve have the same value at that point.