1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and radial components of acceleration - answer seems odd

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 60 cm diameter wheel accelerates uniformly about its center from 120 rpm to 300 rpm in 5s.
    1) Determine its angular acceleration.
    2) Determine the radial component of the linear acceleration of a point on the edge of the wheel 2s after it has started accelerating.
    3)Determine the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a point on the edge of the wheel 2s after it has started accelerating.

2. Relevant equations
    1) alpha=w2-w1/delta(t)
    2 and 3) w'=w+alpha t'
    v=Rw'
    radial component=v^2/r
    tangential component =alpha r
    BUT alpha=radial+tangential

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I determined that alpha = 3.77rad/s^2
    2)w'=120*2pi/60 + 3.77*2s
    w'=20
    v=.6/2*20 = 6
    radial = 6^2/.3 = 120 m/s^2
    this seems very high!! shouldn't it be less than 3.77?

3) tangential = 3.77*.3 = 1.131 m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your numbers look right to me. There's no reason or sense in comparing a_radial to alpha when they don't even have the same units. I.e., 120 m/s^2 is neither less than, equal to, or greater than 3.77 rad/s^2.

EDIT:
    Looks like you wrote w' when you probably meant w (or ω), the rotation rate in rad/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?