Tarzan, angel that rope breaks.

• Thread starter juggalomike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, Tarzan, who weighs 678 N, swings from a cliff on a 19.0 m vine. He descends by 3.2 m. The maximum tension in the vine is 906 N and the vine will break if the force on it exceeds 816.3 N. To solve for the angle at which the vine would break, a free-body diagram of Tarzan on the vine and Newton's second law can be used.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

Tarzan, who weighs 678 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 19.0 m long (see the figure). From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m. If the vine doesn't break, what is the maximum of the tension in the vine?
answer=906 N

The vine will break if the force on it exceeds 816.3 N. Does the vine break? If yes, at what angle does it break (if no enter 180. deg)?

Homework Equations

not really sure, maybe T=mg+2mg(1-cos(theta))

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped on part 2, i tried looking up the question online and found someone saying to use T=mg+2mg(1-cos(theta)) but after plugging the information into that i see that it does not work(or i am doing something wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
How can he only descend 3.2m to the bottom of the swing if the rope is 19m?

juggalomike said:

Homework Statement

Tarzan, who weighs 678 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 19.0 m long (see the figure). From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m. If the vine doesn't break, what is the maximum of the tension in the vine?
answer=906 N

The vine will break if the force on it exceeds 816.3 N. Does the vine break? If yes, at what angle does it break (if no enter 180. deg)?

Homework Equations

not really sure, maybe T=mg+2mg(1-cos(theta))

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped on part 2, i tried looking up the question online and found someone saying to use T=mg+2mg(1-cos(theta)) but after plugging the information into that i see that it does not work(or i am doing something wrong).

I take it that you've figured out part 1? For part 2, draw a free-body diagram on the monkey and write out Newton's second law.

would i draw 2 FBDs? one when he starts the swing and 1 at the bottom of the swing?

1. What is the scientific explanation for Tarzan's ability to swing on vines without the rope breaking?

There are a few possible explanations for this. One is that Tarzan is able to quickly assess the strength and durability of the vines he uses and only chooses ones that can support his weight. Another explanation is that Tarzan has developed strong muscles and excellent coordination from a lifetime of swinging on vines, allowing him to control his movements and avoid putting too much strain on the rope. Finally, it is also possible that Tarzan's vines are made of a particularly strong and flexible material, such as a type of rubber, that can withstand the stresses of swinging.

2. Can humans actually swing on vines like Tarzan does?

While it is possible for humans to swing on vines, it is not as easy as Tarzan makes it look. Most vines in the wild are not strong enough to support the weight of a swinging human, and even if they were, it requires a great deal of strength, coordination, and practice to do so safely. Additionally, swinging on vines can be dangerous, as there is always a risk of the vine breaking or the person losing their grip and falling.

3. How does Tarzan's body handle the impact of landing after swinging on vines?

Tarzan's body likely has developed adaptations to handle the impact of landing after swinging on vines. For example, his leg muscles may be particularly strong and he may have a thicker layer of cartilage in his joints to absorb shock. Additionally, Tarzan may have a heightened sense of coordination and control, allowing him to land gracefully and minimize the impact on his body.

4. Is Tarzan's swinging on vines a realistic portrayal of how primates move in the wild?

While some primates do use vines to travel through the forest, Tarzan's swinging on vines is a highly exaggerated and unrealistic portrayal. Most primates use vines for support or as a way to move short distances, rather than as a means of transportation like Tarzan does. Additionally, primates have different body structures and movement patterns than humans, so it is unlikely that a human could swing on vines in the same way as a primate.

5. What are the potential risks and dangers of swinging on vines like Tarzan?

Swinging on vines like Tarzan can be extremely dangerous. The vines may not be strong enough to support the weight of a human and could break, resulting in a fall and potential injury. Additionally, swinging on vines requires a great deal of strength and coordination, so inexperienced individuals attempting to do so may injure themselves. Furthermore, swinging on vines in a wild environment can also pose other risks, such as encountering dangerous animals or getting tangled in other plant life.