Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tattoo featuring quantum physics

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    Hello community. This is my first post and thread in this forum.

I've been working with modeling circumbinary exoplanets lately and I'd like to commemorate the implications with a tattoo. I'm young and dumb - it's a perfect time to get a tattoo.

Instead of relying on my work with CBPs and getting something like a stellar luminosity equation, I'd prefer to get something that relates to the building blocks of the universe in entirety.

I've thought about the standard model, but that might change in my lifetime with a TOE. I don't want the theory of relativity. All I know is that I want a physics tattoo - either an equation with remarkable implications but preferably something visual (maybe with an equation) and I figured you guys would be the ones to ask.

No idea is a bad idea, and you're free to make a case for anything, even things like relativity where I've already stated I'd rather not have.

Thanks, guys. Let's hear some cool ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] e^{i \pi} -1 = 0 [/tex]

Not exactly physics but a neat expression in any case.

4. May 8, 2013 #3
    Stephen Hawking on lower back.

5. May 8, 2013 #4
    It is neat, and quite beautiful, but I don't really understand the implications - I can't quite process imaginary numbers or the significance of these seemingly unrelated values coming out to 0.

6. May 8, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The equations of motion for the Klein-Gordon field: ##\partial^{a}\partial_{a}\varphi - m^{2}\varphi = 0##

7. May 8, 2013 #6
    The complexity of this consequent equation may be off-putting to some, so I will include a brief motivation so that everyone here, from all levels of physics, can understand it:

Say we have a particle, be it a car, person, or ball. In order to determine both the speed and direction of this particle, we find the ##{\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}}##, with ##\Delta x## denoting the overall change in position of the particle from its starting position, and ##\Delta t## denoting the change in time. Due to the displacement (##\Delta x##) being a vector, the resulting magnitude of this equation also results in a direction. Denoting this resulting value and direction will be the symbol ##\mathbf v##, and it shall henceforth be referred to as velocity.

Thus, we can conclude that the velocity of a particle, ##\mathbf v##, is related to the object's displacement, and the time of its displacement, in the following equation: $$\mathbf v={\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}}.$$

The results of this conclusion are astoundingly complex, and spread throughout the entirety of physics, making its presence known to all who dare to learn and understand it in a truly deep level. I find that this would be your best choice for a tattoo.

8. May 8, 2013 #7
    Nice idea. Any particular reason you suggested that over Schrodinger's Equation?

9. May 8, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The latter is quite cliched is it not :smile:? You could also try the Dirac equation for the Dirac spinor if you get bored!

10. May 8, 2013 #9
    Forget the Schrodinger equation. Use the Dirac equation sandwiched between 2 p-obitals! Cool.

11. May 8, 2013 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this some sort of trolling attempt? :tongue:

12. May 8, 2013 #11
    I eat antimatter for breakfast. Cool idea!

13. May 8, 2013 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would be better off learning something, say a trade or a skill, rather than running around like a two-legged billboard.

14. May 8, 2013 #13
    Maybe you could learn something about running around like a two-legged billboard. Let's keep this to suggestions for tattoos.

15. May 8, 2013 #14
    You would be better off learning something, say a trade or a skill, rather than wasting away time replying to random people on the internet about your discomforts of how they conduct themselves....

Oh wait, this could go on forever.

16. May 8, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. May 8, 2013 #16
    Try some of the images for particle collisions

18. May 9, 2013 #17
    Tattoo featuring quantum physics.

Dead.

19. May 9, 2013 #18

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

20. May 9, 2013 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. May 9, 2013 #20
    Heisenbergs uncertainty principle is a VERY good idea. Its simple, looks cool and illustrates rather poeticaly how we can never know everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook