E-petition to keep creationism out of UK schools

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools Uk
In summary: We should be teaching kids about the impact of religion in history, not forcing them to choose between evolution and a creationism/intelligent design class.I don't think this petition is necessary, I think the schools in the UK get it right. Religion should be taught in context, alongside other cultures.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If you're interested in science education you're going to want to sign this
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1617
Teach evolution, not creationism

Responsible department: Department for Education

Creationism and ‘intelligent design’ are not scientific theories, but they are portrayed as scientific theories by some religious fundamentalists who attempt to have their views promoted in publicly-funded schools. At the same time, an understanding of evolution is central to understanding all aspects of biology. Currently, the study of evolution does not feature explicitly in the National Curriculum until year 10 (ages 14-15). Free Schools and Academies are not obliged to teach the National Curriculum and so are under no obligation to teach about evolution at all.

We petition the Government to make clear that creationism and ‘intelligent design’ are not scientific theories and to prevent them from being taught as such in publicly-funded schools, including in ‘faith’ schools, religious Academies and religious Free Schools. At the same time, we want the Government to make the teaching of evolution in mandatory in all publicly-funded schools, at both primary and secondary level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately it told me:

You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions.

:frown:

Andre said:
Unfortunately it told me:

:frown:
Bugger :frown: feel free to pass it on to any Britons you know.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/92726-teach-evolution-not-creationism/.

Not sure if under-18s can sign petitions but will see what I can do about passing it along.

Is there really a legitimate threat of creationism being taught in public schools?

Ryan_m_b said:
We petition the Government to make clear that creationism and ‘intelligent design’ are not scientific theories and to prevent them from being taught as such in publicly-funded schools, including in ‘faith’ schools, religious Academies and religious Free Schools.

Very dangerous ideas. Personally, I'm not opposed to the teaching of intelligent design, so long as it's not required that a student subscribe to that model AND evolution is taught concurrently. So we're going to tell Catholic schools they can't teach the bible at Catholic schools...? Very dangerous ideas. My children went to a Catholic school and were taught "intelligent design" in religion class, but were also taught evolution in science class. Personally, I’d like to see many religions taught in all public and private schools, and not taught for the purpose of conversion, but for the purpose of educating. I don’t think someone can understand the world around them without understanding the way it got to where it is, and for better and worse religion played a role.

ThinkToday said:
Very dangerous ideas. Personally, I'm not opposed to the teaching of intelligent design, so long as it's not required that a student subscribe to that model AND evolution is taught concurrently.
Intelligent Design is religion, not science.

Personally, I’d like to see many religions taught in all public and private schools, and not taught for the purpose of conversion, but for the purpose of educating. I don’t think someone can understand the world around them without understanding the way it got to where it is, and for better and worse religion played a role.
Did you mean "teach about the affect of religion in history"? Surely you can't expect "religions" to be taught in public schools.

Not sure I agree with this. I think, generally, British schools get it right – certainly the school my boys go to seem to get it right, from my perspective. It is not that religious views should not be taught, but it is all about context. The problem with what is advocated by creationists in the USA is that they say it should be taught alongside science as an equally valid explanation of the world around us. In British schools, science is taught in science classes and religion is taught in RE, which it is made clear is entirely cultural, and the distinction between the two is also clear. At my boys’ school, which is essentially a Christian school, in RE they are taught about Muslim, and Jewish and Buddhist myths and customs as well as Christian ones. I see nothing inappropriate in that, provided the context is right. The creation myth is just that – a religious myth. As such, it is an important piece of history, and taught appropriately, contributory to a well-rounded education. Intelligent design is a recent invention and not actually part of any religion’s cultural history. I’m not sure that there is a particular need to teach it, but if it is taught with the correct context, there is no particular harm either. I see no need for this petition, I think it just might back fire.

Evo said:
Surely you can't expect "religions" to be taught in public schools.

Why not? IMO it's perfectly reasonable to give kids access to an accurate set of facts about what other people believe in. Doing that is quite common already in UK schools.

Spending public money indoctrinating kids in one religion to the exclusion of the rest is a different matter, of course.

AlephZero said:
Why not? IMO it's perfectly reasonable to give kids access to an accurate set of facts about what other people believe in. Doing that is quite common already in UK schools.
Teaching religion and teaching "about" religion are two different things, IMO, the latter is ok, along with teaching about people that reject religion, if all done without bias. Teaching about current religions in the same way Greek, Roman, etc... mythology is taught is ok. But then, should we also include other supernatural beliefs that have and continue to shape our world?

I was in a religious school from gr 1 down to gr 8. They had some religious related activities on the side making it unnecessary to include religion in the actual curriculum. I don't see any need of teaching religions, myth and world religions are ok.

ThinkToday said:
Very dangerous ideas. Personally, I'm not opposed to the teaching of intelligent design, so long as it's not required that a student subscribe to that model AND evolution is taught concurrently.

Very well, then we should also start by teaching alchemy and astrology. Some people believe in it, so why not teach it??

I personally find it ok to teach intelligent design as long as they make it clear that it is completely rubbish and unscientific.

Also, intelligent design is not a scientific model.

Personally, I’d like to see many religions taught in all public and private schools, and not taught for the purpose of conversion, but for the purpose of educating. I don’t think someone can understand the world around them without understanding the way it got to where it is, and for better and worse religion played a role.

That is a completely different matter. I'm all for teaching about religions in school. But with that I mean: to teach about all religions. Proclaiming that one religion is true and valid, should not be done. We can teach about the origin of the religions, the values of the religions, the crimes and benefits of religions, etc.

AlephZero said:

Spending public money indoctrinating kids in one religion to the exclusion of the rest is a different matter, of course.

But the problem arises when in a physics lesson, they can't talk about the Big Bang theory without a "preable" saying that the BB is only a theory that is believed to by scientists and that other forms of creation are equally valid and true.

In biology we definitely had to learn a bit about intelligent design (although it was 2 years ago and I don't remember the details)

ThinkToday said:
So we're going to tell Catholic schools they can't teach the bible at Catholic schools...? Very dangerous ideas. My children went to a Catholic school and were taught "intelligent design" in religion class, but were also taught evolution in science class.

This would be very unusual for a Catholic school unless you're talking intelligent design generically and not the most popular version of Intelligent Design, which is essentially a modified version of Creationism.

Not saying your local Catholic school didn't choose to teach Intelligent Design, but the Catholic religion in general doesn't take a particularly literalist view of the bible (although some orthodox branches, etc, do take a more literal view).

In any event, in the US, parochial schools, including Catholic schools, don't receive public funding and they can teach whatever they want.

In the UK, parochial schools do receive some public funding. They feel that if taxpayer money is going into those schools that taxpayers should have some say in the curriculum and the education. Seems reasonable to me.

Won't make any difference in the US unless voucher programs become popular. Then the public has an interest in the kind of education the public is getting for their money.

leroyjenkens said:
Is there really a legitimate threat of creationism being taught in public schools?
I gather that, under the previous government, teaching Creationism was a no-no. Under the current one, it seems to be acceptable to teach it in religion, and I believe that two schools already do so, and at least one more is planned. Cynical minds wonder if this will be exploited as a way to "teach the controversy".

ThinkToday said:
So we're going to tell Catholic schools they can't teach the bible at Catholic schools...? Very dangerous ideas. My children went to a Catholic school and were taught "intelligent design" in religion class, but were also taught evolution in science class.

This isn't the issue that's being discussed here. The problem is with intelligent design being taught instead of or alongside evolution in science classes. Clearly this should not be happening! I have no problem with religion being taught in religious education classes.

Andre said:
http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/92726-teach-evolution-not-creationism/.

Wow, I see a few real hot real debates going on, ignited by a simple straightforward post in some places.

I think I understand it.

BobG said:
This would be very unusual for a Catholic school unless you're talking intelligent design generically and not the most popular version of Intelligent Design, which is essentially a modified version of Creationism.
I can't imagine "Intelligent Design" being taught in a Catholic school. Intelligent Design is a protestant invention, it would not be welcomed by Catholics.

leroyjenkens said:

I could see it happen in some of the new free schools. The fact that such schools can be set up by groups of parents and organizations means that it is almost inevitable that someone will at least try to start a free school with an evangelical christian "profile".
AFAIK it has never been a problem in the catholic schools.

Agree with Ken Natton in Post #9. One of my sons managed to come throught the U.K. public education system able to constructively question evolution and see creationism for what it is (and religion for what it was and is), a grab for power. U.K. schools and institiutions are strong enough to counter this, religion does not exercise power here as it does in the U.S, for example. IMO all the petition needs to say is that creationism will not be taught as a science subject, because it isn't one. Anything else is clouding the issue.

The petition is a bit of a straw man in terms of the whole UK education system. If parents and/or schools want kids to learn creationism, ID, basket weaving, or media studies I don't really have a problem with that - you can't legislate against stupidity. IMO the real question is what is examined as part of the national curriculum for science.

The UK national science curriculum (quite rightly IMO) includes topics like "how science works", "the limitations of current scientific knowledge" and "questions that science cannot answer". If some people are paranoid enough to want to remove those topics because they might let ID in through the back door - well, I already said you can't legislate against stupidity.

Evo said:
Did you mean "teach about the affect of religion in history"? Surely you can't expect "religions" to be taught in public schools.

Yes, I do mean religions taught in public school, but, if you read my post you'll see I'm suggesting the teaching from an educational perspective and not a "conversion". Whether its wars, values, cultures, etc., much of history is directly tied to religion, good and bad. I'd like to see a religious history class(es) taught by each of the major faiths to enable students to understand the difference between Sunni and Shea Muslims, why Jewish and Muslim war, what's different about Mormons and why some challenge their beliefs, etc., etc. History needs context and the context can't ignore religion. IMO, there is a lot of lip service paid to “understanding”, “cultural sensitivity”, “cultural differences”, etc. So, how do we understand the sensitivity and differences if we bar the teaching of one of the main reasons for the differences? IMO, it’s like teaching chemistry without mentioning the diversity of atoms or physics without math. So, the Sunni follow Omar and the Shea follow Ali, why is that important if they both point to Allah? There are many questions you could give a “one word answers to”, but one word answers don’t really explain much, IMO. In short, if we truly want to understand other cultures to better get along, then perhaps we need to learn why we are different. Anyway, that’s my opinion.

cristo said:
This isn't the issue that's being discussed here. The problem is with intelligent design being taught instead of or alongside evolution in science classes. Clearly this should not be happening! I have no problem with religion being taught in religious education classes.

Read the OP, "prevent them from being taught as such in publicly-funded schools, including in ‘faith’ schools, religious Academies and religious Free Schools" Yes, it was part of the OP.

Evo said:
I can't imagine "Intelligent Design" being taught in a Catholic school. Intelligent Design is a protestant invention, it would not be welcomed by Catholics.

Perhaps, I used a wrong term. The whole Genesis, Adam & Eve, etc. "beginning" isn't the same for Catholics?

Teaching a child religion should the decision of his/her parents and should be done at home or church / other place of religious organisation.

Religion should not be taught to everyone as a "blanket rule" as part of the national Curriculum.

AlephZero said:
...basket weaving...

Nothing wrong with basket weaving!

rollcast said:
Religion should not be taught to everyone as a "blanket rule" as part of the national Curriculum.

I disagree. Like it or not religion is a major part of the lives of billions of people. It is important it is taught in schools - for what it is - religion.

ThinkToday said:
I'd like to see a religious history class(es) taught by each of the major faiths to enable students to understand the difference between Sunni and Shea Muslims, why Jewish and Muslim war, what's different about Mormons and why some challenge their beliefs, etc.,

How do you propose this would be done? I don't see why they'd have to be taught by the respective faiths. I could see high-level basic understanding lectures on the various major faiths being taught, but these "why's" should not be taught by each faith, or at all. Muslims will have a different reason behind why some of the people in their faith fight the Jews than the Jewish folks do.

Why not minor faiths? Do Zoroastrians not get a block of this education?

cobalt124 said:
I disagree. Like it or not religion is a major part of the lives of billions of people. It is important it is taught in schools - for what it is - religion

No, religions should be taught in schools, but only in the context of history and their basic principals and beliefs. I don't see that religion, which is to say the various religious philosophies, should be taught in schools.

Taught by whom? What each religion means, stands for, and ultimately seeks differs from person to person. Do you have a christian teach kids about Islam? An athiest teach kids about Judaism? Do you have, as ThinkToday might have suggested, religious practictioners or preachers come to schools (or, I shudder to think of it EMPLOYED by the public schools) and teach kids about each of their faiths. Where is the line drawn, then, between what is considered education and what is considered recruiting?

Religious education is best left to religious institutions. As far as I'm concerned, public schools should not delve into religious philosophy, and should teach about religions only in the context of their impact on history in the various regions and eras.

Travis_King said:
How do you propose this would be done? I don't see why they'd have to be taught by the respective faiths. I could see high-level basic understanding lectures on the various major faiths being taught, but these "why's" should not be taught by each faith, or at all. Muslims will have a different reason behind why some of the people in their faith fight the Jews than the Jewish folks do.

Why not minor faiths? Do Zoroastrians not get a block of this education?

No, religions should be taught in schools, but only in the context of history and their basic principals and beliefs. I don't see that religion, which is to say the various religious philosophies, should be taught in schools.

Taught by whom? What each religion means, stands for, and ultimately seeks differs from person to person. Do you have a christian teach kids about Islam? An athiest teach kids about Judaism? Do you have, as ThinkToday might have suggested, religious practictioners or preachers come to schools (or, I shudder to think of it EMPLOYED by the public schools) and teach kids about each of their faiths. Where is the line drawn, then, between what is considered education and what is considered recruiting?

Religious education is best left to religious institutions. As far as I'm concerned, public schools should not delve into religious philosophy, and should teach about religions only in the context of their impact on history in the various regions and eras.

Actually, I have a Persian friend that's Zoroastrian. :smile: Interesting system. It’s been many years ago, but I think he told it basically requires him to “think good”, “be good”, and “do good”.

I think you answered your own question of the "who" teaches. That being the one most knowledgeable that can credibly teach it; someone that has educational prominence in the area. Perhaps even an online or televised presentation, such as one may see on the History Channel with a group discussion lead by an appropriate cleric. As a practical matter, some schools have ethnic and cultural studies, and IMO, religion is an extension of those, so I don’t see it as much of a stretch. I would envision it much like any history class. The evolution of the religion to its present state from an historical perspective, issues relevant in the world today, things understood and misunderstood, etc. Spend a couple of weeks on each, at the most, and conclude it with an online or televised roundtable discussion among experts. In the end, we wouldn’t want to push “conversions”, but conversations, understanding, tolerance, points of view, etc. may achieve some level of mutual respect. Every election cycle it seems we hear nonsense about one religion or another influence. Wouldn’t it be nice to know enough to say that’s BS or not?

Just my two cents. We can never have enough real knowledge or understanding.

I had a world history textbook that spoke a lot about religion in the context of what people believed, allowing the student to understand their motivation for doing what they did. War is important in history, and religion played (and plays) a big role in war.

What needs to be taught is "this is what people believed or believe, and that's why they did what they did, or are doing what they are doing."

Never "this is what they believed and it's true." There's no justification for that and it makes completely zero sense to do that. That's why it's illegal and should stay that way.

ThinkToday said:
Perhaps, I used a wrong term. The whole Genesis, Adam & Eve, etc. "beginning" isn't the same for Catholics?

It doesn't have the same significance or importance as in some Protestant religions. Only the original sin part is important and the story really isn't one to take literally - as is most of the Bible and especially the Old Testament.

Catholic tradition developed before the invention of the printing press. Clergy read the Bible, interpreted its meaning, and taught it based on their interpretation (the consensus opinion of the clergy, as a whole; not the individual priest's interpretation). The congregation reading the Bible is a good thing, but not all that necessary since clergy can tell them what it means.

The Protestant religion developed after the invention of the printing press and the feeling is that people can see for themselves what the Bible says and don't need a hierarchial clergy system to tell them what it says. In fact, most Prostestant churches pick their own ministers/pastors as opposed to the Catholic church where the priests are assigned to churches by the Bishops/Cardinals, etc.

Protestant churches are both more democratic (the congregation gets more of a say) and more literal (since the written word is hard to deny, even if it's even harder to interpret). But, since Protestant churches are more democratic, how literal of an interpretation to take is up to the individual church. As a result, you can have liberal Lutheran churches (don't take the Bible so literally) to some very fundamentalist Protestant sects (an extremely literal intepretation of the Bible). Most Evangelical churches and a significant percentage of Baptist churches fall towards the more literal interpretations, even if not taking an extreme fundamentalist view.

The Catholic church believes in theistic evolution; not Intelligent Design. Theistic evolution is more a statement that it doesn't matter how evolution occurred - it's God that caused it to happen that way. The details of the process are irrelevant and there's no conflict between evolution and church philosophy.

Intelligent Design is a specific theory that's practically a "scientific" rephrasing of creationism. Unless you've actually read the details of Intelligent Design, it's easy for a person with a Catholic background to think theistic evolution and Intelligent Design mean the same thing (at least that's what I initially thought).

But Intelligent Design is intended to be a "scientific" theory that can be taught in science class. The science part is lacking. And Intelligent Design is denounced by the Vatican (hence the idea of Intelligent Design being taught in a Catholic school being almost unimaginable, unless you're talking about Eastern Orthodox Catholics which I know little about except they take a more literal view than the Vatican).

Last edited:
Education is a devolved matter in the UK, there isn't a single UK education system. Do people forget the UK isn't just England or do they just not know?

Secularism is always the best answer, in my opinion. :)

Everyone should have at least a basic understanding of science as a compulsory through secondary schools, regardless of background or doctrinal influences. Learning of religions and other spiritual teachings / concepts / philosophies are important to understand too, however, they should never be presented in a forceful or manipulative fashion on to another, people need to walk their own paths and make their own choices as to which truly resonates with them.

Science provides us with a great advantage into helping an individual reach one's own conclusions and theorize based around that of which we have come to understand.
To think outside the box is greatly encouraged, however, one should also avoid dogmatism, to think for yourself. :)

Religion claims to know all the answers without providing objective evidence or confirmations to support it.

Science aims to eliminate confusion and discover evidence to support theory and facts for confirmation, however, it never claims to know all the answers.
Science is not a dogma, it only concludes to that of which it currently understands. Anything beyond confirmation is simply theoretical or personal opinion.

It is equally important to embrace both left and right-brained concepts, the balance within the chaos. :)

Creationism, as it is understood today (the Earth was poofed into existence 6000 years ago, beginning with Adan and Eve, and history then proceeded precisely as Genesis describes it) is a much newer invention than you might think (largely the product of American Protestant Christianity). "Literal" interpretations of Genesis have existed for quite a while, but Christians historically (and today, outside of American and a few parts of Europe) have never really believed anything quite so dogmatic.

Actually, the entire notion of inerrancy and "biblical literalism" is relatively recent; Christian scholars have debated, say, the two contradictory creation stories in Genesis (Genesis 1 and Genesis 2), or the conflicting accounts of Jesus' life in the four Gospels for over a thousand year; it wasn't until around the 19th century that the more populist branches of Protestant Christianity (again, largely American) threw up their hands in dismissal of "fancy-schmancy intellectual Christianity" and declared the Bible to be 100% literal and inerrant, and that there are no inconsistencies at all (which would get you laughed out of any seminary).

BobG said:
The Catholic church believes in theistic evolution; not Intelligent Design. Theistic evolution is more a statement that it doesn't matter how evolution occurred - it's God that caused it to happen that way. The details of the process are irrelevant and there's no conflict between evolution and church philosophy.
Yes, the nuns taught us man evolved from apes. God, though, put the process of evolution in gear, and when the time was right, he picked a particular homo sapiens and did something to him that made him spiritually a man rather than a beast, gave him a soul perhaps, and named him "Adam".

A day for God, it was explained, was about a billion years in human terms, so we also had no problem with a seven-day creation period.