Taylor Classical Mechanics example 4.9

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Taylor's classical mechanics book regarding a cylindrical object rolling down a track. The solution involves using energy conservation and ignoring internal forces, but there is confusion about whether friction does work. It is clarified that static friction can do work in certain situations, such as a box on the back of a truck. Ultimately, it is determined that in this specific problem, the frictional force does not do work and conservation of mechanical energy is still observed. The conversation concludes with a reference for further clarification on static friction.
almarpa
Hello all.

I have almost finished chapter 4 on energy in Taylor's classical mechanics book. But in the last example in this chapter I got confused. Here it is:

"A uniform rigid cylinder of radius R rolls without slipping down a sloping track
as shown in Figure 4.23. Use energy conservation to find its speed v when it
reaches a vertical height h below its point of release."

In the solution, Taylor says that internal forces can be ignored, and that external forces are friction and normal forces of the track, and gravity. Now, here is what I do not understand: he claims that normal and friction force do no work! I see why normal force doesn't work, but, what about friction? Why doesn`t friction do any work?

Best regards all of you, and thank you for your help,

Physics news on Phys.org
But, if the cylinder is not sliding, should not we say that there is no friction force at all?

almarpa said:
But, if the cylinder is not sliding, should not we say that there is no friction force at all?

No, because there are forces other than friction acting on the cylinder that would make the cylinder slip if a static frictional force was not present. If the cylinder was rolling without resistance on a flat plane, then we could say that there was no static frictional force.

Now I see!

So the force we are talking about is static friction, which does no work as soon as the cylinder starts rolling, isn't it?

almarpa said:
the force we are talking about is static friction, which does no work

Right. I would be hard-pressed to find an example of a situation in which static friction does work.

Do you understand why the static frictional force in the problem does not do work?

AlephNumbers said:
I would be hard-pressed to find an example of a situation in which static friction does work.

That's exactly what I was thinking right now.

Now everything is clear to me.
Thank you so much form your help and your time.

Hello all again.

Now that I have studied Kleppner - Kolenkow chapter 7 on fixed axis rotation, I can answer my own question.

The friction forse is doing work, but, as the cylinder is not sliding, this work is employed in transforming part of the traslational kinetic energy in rotational kinetic energy, and not in dissipating mechanical energy as heat, so mechanical energy is conserved, altough friction is present (see Kelppner - Kolenkow, example 7.17).

I think this is the right answer.

What do you think?

almarpa said:
Hello all again.

Now that I have studied Kleppner - Kolenkow chapter 7 on fixed axis rotation, I can answer my own question.

The friction forse is doing work, but, as the cylinder is not sliding, this work is employed in transforming part of the traslational kinetic energy in rotational kinetic energy, and not in dissipating mechanical energy as heat, so mechanical energy is conserved, altough friction is present (see Kelppner - Kolenkow, example 7.17).

I think this is the right answer.

What do you think?

No, the friction is not doing the work. Gravity is doing the work and friction translates that work into rotational KE.

Another example is a particle sliding down a smooth curve. Gravity is doing all the work, but the normal force can translate vertical speed into horizontal speed (and vice versa).

The pendulum is another example.

Last edited:
All right.

Thank you all for your replies.

Everything is clear now.

AlephNumbers said:
Right. I would be hard-pressed to find an example of a situation in which static friction does work.

Do you understand why the static frictional force in the problem does not do work?

Static friction can do work. An example would be a box on the back of a truck. If the truck is accelerating, but the box does not slide relative to the truck, then the static frictional force on the box is doing positive work.

Rolls With Slipping said:
Static friction can do work. An example would be a box on the back of a truck. If the truck is accelerating, but the box does not slide relative to the truck, then the static frictional force on the box is doing positive work.
This is a very old thread, but you are right to correct the misinformation here. As you say, static friction as an external force can do equal and opposite work on the two objects in contact.
As a reference, see last para at https://scripts.mit.edu/~srayyan/PERwiki/index.php?title=Static_friction

1. What is the concept behind Taylor Classical Mechanics example 4.9?

The concept behind Taylor Classical Mechanics example 4.9 is the use of Lagrange's equations to solve for the motion of a system with multiple degrees of freedom.

2. What is the significance of example 4.9 in classical mechanics?

Example 4.9 is significant in classical mechanics as it demonstrates the application of Lagrange's equations to solve complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It also highlights the importance of considering different coordinate systems in analyzing the motion of a system.

3. How does example 4.9 relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Example 4.9 relates to Newton's laws of motion as it uses the principle of virtual work, which is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics. This principle is based on Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. What are the steps involved in solving example 4.9?

The steps involved in solving example 4.9 are: 1) defining the generalized coordinates and potential energy function of the system, 2) applying Lagrange's equations to obtain the equations of motion, 3) solving the resulting equations for the unknown variables, and 4) analyzing the behavior of the system using the solutions obtained.

5. How does example 4.9 demonstrate the use of Lagrange's equations?

Example 4.9 demonstrates the use of Lagrange's equations by showing how they can be applied to solve for the motion of a system with multiple degrees of freedom. It also illustrates the importance of choosing appropriate generalized coordinates and potential energy functions in obtaining accurate solutions.