Taylor serie of a function 1/(1+Z^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses a function involving complex numbers and finding its Taylor series. The function can also be seen as a sum of a geometric series, making it easier to find the series. The use of "z^{(2k)}" is recommended for displaying the exponent in the correct format.
nicolas.ard
Hello folks,
I have this function, un complex numbers

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+z^2)}[/itex]

I know that the Taylor serie of that function is

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+z^2)}[/itex] = [itex]\sum (-1)^k.z^(2.k) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, do you have a question[/b}? What do you want to know about that function?

If you are asking about how to get that series, you could, of course, find the derivatives of that function, and apply the usual formula for Taylor's series.

However, for this particular function, the simpler way to handle it is to think of it as the sum of a geometric series. The sum of a geometric series, [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] is [itex]a/(1- r)[/itex].

Here, "[itex]a/(1- r)[/itex]" is [itex]1/(1+ z^2)[/itex] so that a= 1 and [itex]r= -z^2[/itex]. [itex]\sum ar^n[/itex] becomes [itex]\sum (1)(-z^2)^n= \sum (-1)^nz^{2n}[/itex].

By the way, to get all of "(2k)" in the exponent, use "z^{(2k)}" rather than just "z^(2k)".

I'm sorry, i wrote the question and i posted it by mistake, i found the solution over here [1]. I did't found the option to delete my post, this is phpBB?[1] https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=297842

Thanks!, the use of geometric series it's a way to do it easier. :)

However, for this particular function, the simpler way to handle it is to think of it as the sum of a geometric series. The sum of a geometric series, ∑arn is a/(1−r).

Here, "a/(1−r)" is 1/(1+z2) so that a= 1 and r=−z2. ∑arn becomes ∑(1)(−z2)n=∑(−1)nz2n.

By the way, to get all of "(2k)" in the exponent, use "z^{(2k)}" rather than just "z^(2k)".

What is the Taylor series of a function 1/(1+Z^2)?

The Taylor series of a function 1/(1+Z^2) is an infinite sum of terms that approximates the function near a specific point. It is represented by the formula: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ...

What is the significance of the Taylor series of a function 1/(1+Z^2)?

The Taylor series allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler one, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It also helps us to understand the behavior and properties of a function around a specific point.

What is the convergence of the Taylor series of 1/(1+Z^2)?

The Taylor series of 1/(1+Z^2) converges for all values of x, since the function is analytic (meaning it has derivatives of all orders) and has a finite radius of convergence.

How can the Taylor series of 1/(1+Z^2) be used in practical applications?

The Taylor series can be used to approximate the value of the function at a point, which can be helpful in numerical calculations. It can also be used to find the derivatives of the function at a point, and to study the behavior of the function near that point.

Can the Taylor series of 1/(1+Z^2) be used to find the value of the function at points outside its radius of convergence?

No, the Taylor series can only be used to approximate the function within its radius of convergence. Outside of this radius, the approximation will not be accurate and may even diverge.