1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series expansion

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    Hello all,
    My question is in regards to the Taylor series expansion of
    [tex]f(x)=e^x=1+x+x^2/(2!)+x^3/(3!).......[/tex]
    I calculated the value of
    [tex]e^(-2)[/tex]
    using the first 4 terms, 6 terms, and then the first 8 terms. I then calculated the relative error to compare it to the true value, depcited by my calculator to 6 significant figures. Using the first four terms, I found an error of 2609%. Using the first 6 terms I found an error of 2905%, and lastly using the first 8 terms I found an error of 2952%.

What can I conclude from this? Does the error increase (at a decreasing rate) until it begins decreasing (at an increasing rate)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get to 2609%?
    If I take 4 terms I get an error of around 46%.

Are you sure you entered the even powers correctly? One of the most common mistakes is to enter (-2)2 as -22 = -(22).

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Oops, I had a mistake.n However, upon doing it again, I get an error of 346.3.
    relative error=100((e^(-2)-(sum of first four terms))/e^(-2))=100((e^(-2)-(-0.333333))/e^(-2))=346%

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    Yes the error after 4 terms is 346%. But in the next 4 terms the errors are 146%, -51%, 15% and 4%; after another 4 terms the error is only 5 parts in a thousand and another four, -2 in 1 million. The error decreases in magnitude with each successive term (except for the second term, x) and converges fast enough for me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook