Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series expansion

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    Hello all,
    My question is in regards to the Taylor series expansion of
    [tex]f(x)=e^x=1+x+x^2/(2!)+x^3/(3!).......[/tex]
    I calculated the value of
    [tex]e^(-2)[/tex]
    using the first 4 terms, 6 terms, and then the first 8 terms. I then calculated the relative error to compare it to the true value, depcited by my calculator to 6 significant figures. Using the first four terms, I found an error of 2609%. Using the first 6 terms I found an error of 2905%, and lastly using the first 8 terms I found an error of 2952%.

What can I conclude from this? Does the error increase (at a decreasing rate) until it begins decreasing (at an increasing rate)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get to 2609%?
    If I take 4 terms I get an error of around 46%.

Are you sure you entered the even powers correctly? One of the most common mistakes is to enter (-2)2 as -22 = -(22).

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Oops, I had a mistake.n However, upon doing it again, I get an error of 346.3.
    relative error=100((e^(-2)-(sum of first four terms))/e^(-2))=100((e^(-2)-(-0.333333))/e^(-2))=346%

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    Yes the error after 4 terms is 346%. But in the next 4 terms the errors are 146%, -51%, 15% and 4%; after another 4 terms the error is only 5 parts in a thousand and another four, -2 in 1 million. The error decreases in magnitude with each successive term (except for the second term, x) and converges fast enough for me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook