Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series in terms of discrete derivative

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    All analitic function can be express how: [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{0!} \frac{d^0f}{dx^0}(x_0) (x - x_0)^0 + \frac{1}{1!} \frac{d^1 f}{dx^1}(x_0) (x - x_0)^1 + \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2f}{dx^2}(x_0) (x - x_0)^2 + \frac{1}{3!} \frac{d^3f}{dx^3}(x_0) (x - x_0)^3 + ...[/tex] that is the taylor series of the function f(x).

Analogously, should exist a taylor series that use the discrete derivative ##\frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x} = f[x+1] - f[x]##. I found this NumberedEquation4.gif in wolframpage http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ForwardDifference.html but appears strange. I didn't undertood what such series means. Someone can explain me?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

I'm going to use notation from time scale calculus, which is a unification of continuous and discrete calculus. It makes my message more obvious.

A time scale is a non-empty closed subset ##\mathbb{T}\subset\mathbb{R}##.
    Given a function ##f : \mathbb{T}\to\mathbb{R}##, we define the (Hilger) derivative ##f^{\Delta}## in such a way such that
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{R}## then Hilger derivative is equal to ##f^{\Delta}(t) = f'(t)## and
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{Z}## then Hilger derivative is equal to ##f^{\Delta}(t) = \Delta f(t)##.

To study the Taylor theorem, we also have "h-polynomials" which are defined
    ##h_{0}(t,s) = 1## and
    ##h_{k+1}(t,s) = \int_s^t h_k(\tau, s) \, \Delta \tau##.
    In words "start with the constant and keep integrating over and over".
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{R}## then ##h_k(t,s) = \frac{(t-s)^k}{k!}## and
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{Z}## then ##h_k(t,s) = \frac{(t-s)(t-s-1)(t-s-2)\ldots(t-s-k+1)}{k!}##

The Taylor theorem itself is
    ##f(t) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}f^{\Delta^k}(a)\, h_{k}(t, a) \, + R##
    where R is the remainder (I'm not going to write down the remainder term).
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{R}## then
      ##f(t) = f(a) + f'(a) \frac{t-s}{1!} + f''(a) \frac{(t-s)^2}{2!}+\ldots+f^{(k)}(a) \frac{(t-s)^k}{k!} + \ldots## and
    • if ##\mathbb{T} = \mathbb{Z}## then
      ##f(t) = f(a) + \Delta f(a) \frac{t-s}{1!} + \Delta^2 f(a) \frac{(t-s)(t-s-1)}{2!}+\ldots+\Delta^{k}f(a) \frac{(t-s)(t-s-1)\ldots(t-s-k+1)}{k!} + \ldots##.

The important thing is that in discrete calculus these ##\frac{(t-s)(t-s-1)(t-s-2)\ldots(t-s-k+1)}{k!}## serve the same role as ##\frac{(t-s)^k}{k!}## does in the continuous calculus.

4. Feb 26, 2014 #3
    good answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook