1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series of e^x/(x-1)

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] g(x) = \frac{x}{e^x - 1} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_n}{n!} x^n[/itex] be the taylor series for g about 0. Show B_0 = 1 and [itex] \sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n+1}{k} B_k = 0 [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] g(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{g^{(n)}(0)}{n!} x^n [/itex], but [itex] g^{(n)}(0) [/itex] is always undefined at 0. So I don't see how any of these relations can hold.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

l'Hôpital? :wink:

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can get the first part pretty easily by long division of x by ex - 1 (= x + x2/2! + x3/3! + ... + xn/n! + ...).

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5
    That's true, but that's not very rigorous as it stands. What allows you to obtain series by dividing a polynomial by another series? Furthermore, how can you prove that the nth coefficient of the series obtained in this fashion is B_n for all n? This seems difficult to accomplish.

7. Apr 4, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure it is.
    There's not just one way to obtain a series. For example, the Maclaurin series for 1/(1 - x) is frequently obtained by long division.
    The coefficient of the nth term is Bn, pretty much by definition. What you need to prove is that $$\sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n+1}{k} B_k = 0 $$
    Well, maybe, but what I've suggested is what I would try.

8. Apr 4, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know about absolute convergence and its implication for the multiplication and division of series?

9. Apr 5, 2013 #8
    Yes, but here it is not a series being divided by a polynomial, but the other way around. I have not really encountered this before, so I suppose the complete answer to your question is no.

I really don't see a good way of doing this. What we are obtaining through this division is some series for which a general term for B_n is not known (and I don't think there is some simple formula, after writing out the first few terms).

10. Apr 5, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can think of a polynomial as a series where all but a finite number of terms vanish.

11. Apr 5, 2013 #10
    Ok; do you have any suggestions for proving the second query?

12. Apr 5, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Start with
    $$\frac{x}{e^x-1} = \frac{1}{\frac{e^x-1}{x}}.$$ Then convert the problem into one of multiplying two series. It works out pretty easily. You don't need to solve for the ##B_k##'s explicitly.

13. Apr 6, 2013 #12
    Alright its simple enough. On a side note (although it is not necessary because it is given in the problem statement), if we were not given that g was given by its taylor series in a neighborhood of zero, how to prove that it is? The series manipulations require us knowing g is given by its Taylor series.

14. Apr 7, 2013 #13
    Any thoughts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted