1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Teaching limits of a physics degree

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    I was wondering what other areas besides physics one could teach with a MS or PhD in Physics?

I was possibly planning on going for an MS in Physics, and then going to teach at a community college for a few years. I figured getting a MS in Physics would also qualify you to teach pretty much all the math courses at a community college(algebra, pre calc, calc 123, diff eq, linear). Does this ever happen, or would a CC be more likely to just let you teach physics courses?

Also, I noticed there are a few professors at my college who got PhD's in physics, and are now doing research in EE, and teaching EE courses. Does having a PhD in Physics imply that you are capable of teaching an EE curriculum? Or would this be more based on your post-doc research/experience?

I ask all of this because if I do teach, I wouldn't mind teaching math/engineering as well if possible.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Several of my CC instructors had backgrounds different from the field they were teaching (I took programming from a ceramics engineer, for example).

Engineering statics or programming would be appropriate classes for someone with a physics background to teach.
  4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    I taught for 1 semester at a CC with a well known name. I taught two classes of physics and two of math - you can definitely do both, though it may depend on the institution. In fact, if I had stayed full time (they made me a pretty good offer) I'd have been expected to teach 5 classes and they couldn't have come up with 5 physics courses. By the time I left we had explored the idea of me teaching a number of other courses, such as their electronics courses.

Let me warn you, teaching at CC is an experience. The maths I taught were the remedial ones. We spent a lot of time trying to teach adults fractions; I was only mostly successful. The physics class was algebra based, and about 1/3 of the class did not have the math background (despite passing the required classes) to take it.

Of course, you get a lot of that in 4 year unis, too; just a different degree. The biggest difference in the people I taught at the CC can be summed up as follows: I asked one guy why he was there, he responded "I want to be able to buy my children better toys." Many of them were very poor, and most worked 40-80 hours on top of school.

It wasn't entirely positive, but I'd love to teach a class on the side, if I had time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook