1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technical question regarding showing sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) converges to 0

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1

gmn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show the sequence sn= (n+1)1/2 - n1/2 converges to zero

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have that much of a problem showing the limit goes to zero, rationalize the numerator (or whatever it's called) to get (n+1)1/2 - n1/2 = 1/((n+1)1/2 + n1/2). My question is that I show this goes to zero because sn<1/n(1/2) which goes to zero, but my professor provides a solution where he writes sn<1/2(n1/2). I don't understand why the 2 is there. Is saying that sn<1/(n1/2) insufficient or not true?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

both are true, and sufficient to show it converges to zero, the 2nd is just a little tighter

how about this, as
    [tex] (n+1)^{1/2} > n^{1/2} [/tex]
    then
    [tex] \frac{1}{s_n} = n^{1/2} + (n+1)^{1/2} > n^{1/2} + n^{1/2} = 2n^{1/2} [/tex]
    then inverting
    [tex] s_n = \frac{1}{n^{1/2} + (n+1)^{1/2}} < \frac{1}{n^{1/2} + n^{1/2}} = \frac{1}{2n^{1/2}} [/tex]

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    [tex] \sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}> 2 \sqrt{n}[/tex].
    taking the inverse on both sides yields
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} < \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}}[/tex]
    your professor is just using a smaller upper bound for [tex]s_n[/tex]. professors like to use bounds that are as small as possible:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook