Tedious Algebra- Is it needed? - Coulomb Force

In summary, the goal of these problems is to help the students understand the basic concepts of electrostatic forces and the vector nature of Coulomb force.
Gamma
Hello,

A typical problem assigned to students is where there are two charges on the x-axis and find the location of a third charge so that the net force on it is zero or some other force value given. I am wondering what is the idea behind this problem? It can get really complicated when trying to solve this. Or is there another way to solve it easily? Here is an example:

A 3 uC charge is at the origin, a -5 uC charge is at +0.2 m. Find the location of an +8 uC charge so that the net force on the 8 uC charge is -7 N

We can place the 8 uC charge on the negative side say at x m from the origin.
Then we can find the net force on 8 uC and then set it to - 7 N.

This is what I am getting.

-3 /x^2 + 5/(x+0.2)^2 = - 97.2

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main reason for these types of questions is to test students understanding of electrostatic forces and the interaction between differently charged particles. After this type of problem is introduced, the 3rd charge is generally then placed somewhere above or below the other two charges so that now x and y forces have to be taken into consideration. I'm sure this is to test students ability to break down the net force into its x and y components and add them respectively. Yes, it can be a lot of algebra, but it does help to develop a students overall understanding of these forces and principles.

These problems help the students to understand the vector nature of Coulomb force. When the charges are along a straight line, the students have to decide where the third charge can be, and use different equations in the different domains.
In your problem, the third charge can be either at x<0 or x>0.2 m. You took only the first case into account.

ehild

Right, we could place the charge on the other end also. To give a complete solution, students have to solve both of these scenarios.

The students that am teaching are extremely challenged in math, so I don't assign them these type of problems. If I assign them, I might ask them to derive the equation and stop short of solving it. I just could not take the muttering that goes on the next day in the class.

The equations assigned to problems "where is the force zero on the third charge" is easy to solve.

The students learn that Coulomb force is "F=kQ1Q2/r^2", and are confused both by the direction of F and the meaning of "r" when there are two forces from two charges. You need to remind them the wording of the Coulomb Law "The force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point charges", so they have to use the distance D for "r".
Such problems also help them to understand what is the distance between two points placed at given coordinates and how to define the position of a point charge. You said "We can place the 8 uC charge on the negative side say at x m from the origin". That can confuse the students as they get a positive number although x, as coordinate, is negative. It is better to say "at distance D1 from the first charge" and "at distance D2 from the negative charge" and they need to understand that Di=|x-xi| where xi is the position (coordinate) of the i-th charge.

ehild

1. Is algebra necessary for understanding Coulomb's Law?

Yes, algebra is necessary for understanding Coulomb's Law. The equation for Coulomb's Law involves algebraic operations such as multiplication, division, and exponents. Without a basic understanding of algebra, it would be difficult to manipulate and solve the equation.

2. Why is Coulomb's Law considered tedious?

Coulomb's Law is considered tedious because it involves a lot of mathematical calculations and can be time-consuming. The equation includes values such as charge, distance, and permittivity of free space, which can be challenging to measure and plug into the equation.

3. Can I use a calculator for Coulomb's Law?

Yes, you can use a calculator for Coulomb's Law. In fact, using a calculator can make the calculations easier and faster. However, it is essential to have a basic understanding of the equation and the values involved to ensure accurate results.

4. Is Coulomb's Law only applicable to electrical charges?

No, Coulomb's Law is also applicable to any two charged particles, regardless of whether they are electrically charged or not. It can be used to calculate the force between two charged objects, such as protons and electrons, as well as particles with opposite or like charges.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to the electromagnetic force?

Coulomb's Law is one of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. It describes the force between two charged particles and is used to calculate the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the interaction between charged particles. Without Coulomb's Law, we would not have a fundamental understanding of the electromagnetic force.