1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three charges are at the corners of an isosceles triangle

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1

knv

1. Three charges are at the corners of an isosceles triangle as shown in the figure. The +q1 = 5.05 uC and -q1 = 5.05 uC charges form a dipole.

A) Find the magnitude and direction of the net force that the q2 = 8.50 uc charge exerts on the diple.

B) For an axis perpendicular to the line connecting he two charges of the diple at its midpoint perpendicular to the plane of the paper, find the magnitude and direction of the torque exerted on the dipole by the q2 = 8.50 uC.

2. I know we use Coulomb's Law which is F = kq1q2/ r2

3. I need help starting this problem and an explanation so I can understand it. i do not need the answer, just help setting up the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Charges

Draw a picture that shows the three charges and draw the forces exerted by q2 both at q1 and -q1.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook