Temperature and Thermal Energy of coffee cup

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
mppaki
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Before I begin, Please note that for some reason I don't really grasp physics equations which is odd since I had a A in chemistry but physics just confuses me and also, I am taking this class to prepare me for college. My pencil broke and I didn't think we would have homework of the stuff we learned so quick, so I decided not to ask anyone for a pencil and just listened through the rest of the lecture but now I regret it.

1. A 4.00 x 10²-g glass coffee cup is at room temperature, 20.0°C. It is then plunged into hot dishwater, 80.0°C. If the temperature of the cup reaches that of the dishwater, how much heat does the cup absorb? Assume the mass of the dishwater is large enough so its temperature doesn't change appreciably.



Homework Equations


The only thing I can think of is Q=mC∆T, but I am pretty sure that is the wrong formula.


The Attempt at a Solution



m = 4.00 x 10²g = 4000 / 1000 = 4kg.
Ti = 20.0°C
Tf = 80.0°C
C = 4180

Q = (4)(4180)(80-20)
Q = 1,003,200 j/kg * K
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oh, um the 1000 is because i needed to convert the grams to kilograms.
 
oh yes lol, I have a habit of entering in my calc the x10...

Q = (0.4)(4180)(80-20)
Q = 100,320 J/Kg * k