Temperature from Doppler Effect spectral broadening

In summary, the problem involves a sodium atom emitting radiation at a wavelength of 6000 angstroms, but when measured, the wavelength is widened to 6000 +/- 0.02 angstroms. The question is, if this is due to the doppler effect, what is the temperature of the sodium atom? The attempted solution involved using the doppler effect equation to find the velocity of the atom, which was found to be 1000. However, there are concerns about using this value for the velocity in the equipartition theorem, as it is the maximum velocity and not the average velocity. The back of the book suggests a temperature of 700 degrees Kelvin, but there are some uncertainties about using the theorem without knowing
anotherghost

Homework Statement

A doppler effect problem:

A sodium atom is emitting radiation at a wavelength of 6000 angstroms. When measured however the wavelength is widened to 6000 +/- 0.02 angstams. If this is primarily due to the doppler effect, what is the temperature of the sodium atom?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the doppler effect part, I solved 6000 + 0.02 = 6000 (1 + v/c) -> v = 1000, which also works for 6000 - 0.02 = 6000 (1 - v/c). However, now I do not know where to go to get the temperature of the atom. The back of the book says that it is around 700 degrees Kelvin.

Point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I have the idea of using the equipartition theorem, and the numbers come out right, but I'm worried about two things.

First, I think the prof said that we weren't supposed to need to know anything aside from what was written on the assignment, and the mass of sodium is not written on the assignment, which from what I understand is needed for the theorem to be applied here.

Second, the formula works when I use v = 1000, yielding around 700 K, but I don't think it should. If this thing is oscillating sinusoidally, 1000 should be the maximum velocity of the particle, not the velocity at any point in time. So, if we're taking the average velocity - which I believe we have to for the equipartition theorem - shouldn't we be using the root mean square velocity for the average velocity? Which would be 1000 / sqrt(2)?

What is the temperature from Doppler Effect spectral broadening?

The temperature from Doppler Effect spectral broadening is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas. It is determined by analyzing the broadening of spectral lines due to the Doppler Effect, which is caused by the random motion of gas particles.

How is temperature related to Doppler Effect spectral broadening?

Temperature is directly related to Doppler Effect spectral broadening. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of particles also increases, resulting in a greater Doppler broadening of spectral lines.

What factors can affect the temperature measured from Doppler Effect spectral broadening?

The temperature measured from Doppler Effect spectral broadening can be affected by the density and pressure of the gas, as well as the speed and direction of the gas particles. Other factors such as the composition of the gas and the shape and size of the source also play a role.

How is Doppler Effect spectral broadening used in temperature measurements?

Doppler Effect spectral broadening is commonly used in astrophysics to measure the temperatures of stars and other celestial objects. It can also be used in laboratory settings to study the temperature of gases in controlled environments.

Are there any limitations to using Doppler Effect spectral broadening for temperature measurements?

While Doppler Effect spectral broadening is a useful tool for measuring temperature, it does have some limitations. It is most accurate for gases with low to moderate densities and pressures, and can be affected by factors such as turbulence and magnetic fields. Additionally, it may not provide an accurate measurement for gases with complex or unknown compositions.