Doppler Effect (Proving equal wavelengths )

In summary, the perceived wavelength in the doppler effect is equal to the wavelength of the emitted wave, and this can be proven by using a common denominator and simplifying the expression.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am doing doppler effect and this question wants me to prove that the wavelength perceived by the observer and that of the wave emitted is the same.

I tried doing it but couldn't, so I checked out what they had as an answer:

They said that the wavelength of the emitted wave is: v / f, which I agree with

They said the perceived wavelength is equal to: u + v / f (1 + u/v), which I also agree with.

Now, how they proved that those are equal I don't understand... I tried but I just can't see it. Can anyone help me with the steps involved?

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I am doing doppler effect and this question wants me to prove that the wavelength perceived by the observer and that of the wave emitted is the same.

I tried doing it but couldn't, so I checked out what they had as an answer:

They said that the wavelength of the emitted wave is: v / f, which I agree with

They said the perceived wavelength is equal to: u + v / f (1 + u/v), which I also agree with.

Now, how they proved that those are equal I don't understand... I tried but I just can't see it. Can anyone help me with the steps involved?

Thanks,
Peter

it is just transformation of the expression, using common denominator.

(1 + u/v) = (v/v + u/v) = (v + u)/v = (u + v)/v [I reversed the v+u so it was identical to the numerator]

Put that in the expression and the (u + v) terms cancel, and the v ends up in the numerator to give v/f

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, but it also applies to other types of waves such as light waves.

2. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave increases and the wavelength decreases. If the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency decreases and the wavelength increases.

3. How is the Doppler Effect used to prove equal wavelengths?

The Doppler Effect can be used to prove equal wavelengths by measuring the change in frequency of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. By comparing the observed frequency with the known frequency of the wave, the wavelength can be calculated using the formula: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

4. What is the significance of proving equal wavelengths in the Doppler Effect?

Proving equal wavelengths in the Doppler Effect is significant because it confirms the consistency of the wave's speed. This is important in many fields, such as astronomy, where the Doppler Effect is used to study the motion and properties of celestial objects.

5. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the change in pitch of a police siren as it approaches and passes by is a common example of the Doppler Effect. The same effect can also be observed with the sound of a passing car or a train whistle.