1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature relevance of the Franck-Hertz Experiment

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1
    I have to do a lab next week in which I repeat the Franck-Hertz experiment. I am reasonably sure that I understand most of what I need to do, but I'm just a little unsure on a couple of points, and would appreciate some guidance if anyone is knowledgeable with it.

The instructions say that the tube must be heated to ~180°C. I assume that this is to vapourise the mercury, and get it to a suitable pressure? Is there any other reason? I was looking online for an answer, and a lot of the pages said that the tube should under no circumstances be heated above 205°C. Is there any specific reason for this?

I may have further questions as my research continues. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook